language problems

preston

We are a family of five who are relocating to the Gers area as soon as our property here is sold. Along with all the usual anxieties of such a move our no.1 son who is nearly 20 and has served an apprenticeship in H.G.V. mechanics seems to think he will have little problem working in france. But he will need a bit more than his schoolboy french to get by in a workshop, so does anybody know of a dictionary aimed at mechanics like there are for people who use builders merchants. Either that or he will have to sit and translate part and tool names from a dictionary, probably a week before we go.

thank you

preston

Haynes publishing (the workshop manual people) publish an English/French technical dictionary, it was available free some while back when ordering another title. Hopefully you will still be able to find it on their website.

It is very good but despite the front cover being in both languages it is actually an English/French dictionary but not the inverse so for instance if someone says to him "courroie de distribution" he wont find it under C, he will have to search every page before finding "timing belt". I think that is why they couldn't sell it in the normal way they had envisaged.

He probably wont find most of what he requires in a normal dictionary, good luck with the move I hope No 1 son is resilient.

Thanks for all your advice. It will give me a headstart sourcing some literature. The hard part, of course, will be getting no. 1 son to pay for it. He thinks he's hard done by, having to pay his mum housekeeping .

Preston