The saga of earning a living (not in France)

powerdesal

Because its Friday and because I am totally bored in a hotel room I am going to tell you the story of how to become an expat in the Arab world from France.

I suggest those not interested switch off now, the story is a loooooong one.

I was in France, job offer comes from a Company in UAE (French company as it happens) confirming they would like me to join them as discussed previously with them. Can I get my qualification certs duly certified by UK authorities and the UAE embassy. Paris is probably the place.

Certainly says I, the certs are in the packing which is presently on route to Le Havre from Sharjah. When it arrives I will do the needful.

Days go by.........container eventually arrives and next day SWMBO says here are your certificates (how did she find them so quickly????)

Drive to Paris... no... take train, much easier. 3 hours on the excellent train service and I am at Montparnasse, but where is the British embassy? Couldn't check beforehand as no phone and no internet. No problem, breeze into Le Meridien and ask at the desk then get taxi.

Arrive at embassy but thats not the document section, get directions from Gendarme at gate. Get to docs section and get full co-operation (WOW), pay my 30+ euros and set off for UAE embassy. Now the UAE embassy is listed as being on the other side of Paris to the Brit embassy, possibly 7th compared with 14th or something like that.

Eventually find UAE embassy by use of metro and taxi drivers. It was closed, shuttered, no longer in use. It has moved - across Paris to the area not too far from the Brit embassy (the British embassy didn't know that!). Myself and a similarly confused French lad then hassle our way back across Paris and eventually find the embassy at 12.45, with a closing time of 13.00.

Very sorry sir, these are English certificates, we only deal with French ones, you must go to London.

Back to Montparnasse and 3 hours home on the train.

Get daughter to check London UAE embassy website, book ferry for Sunday evening, arrive Abingdon (Oxon) and plan Monday visit. The British FO documents section found to have moved out of London to Milton Keynes. MILTON KEYNES of all places, its a nightmare.

Monday morning at silly o clock, set off for MK. No real problem apart from UK traffic. Then try to find somewhere, anywhere, to park.

Find the FO docs office and get told ' you need to have your certs stamped by a Solicitor, heres an address'. Find solicitor (15 quid) and return to FO docs office. 45 mins later and 87.50 pounds poorer all done but now too late to get to London before UAE embassy closes.

Back to Abingdon, change ferry booking, stay overnight.

Tuesday, drive to London.....no chance, take train at 45 pounds return - WHAT? No senior citizen discount at peak time sir. So 45 notes to allow me to stand in train ( no seats, train stuffed with commuters), across London on tube (6 + pounds minimum fare at this time of day sir, even if only one stop ).

Find UAE Embassy. ( not too difficult, just off exhibition road). Nice walk in the sunshine to find 3 people on steps of Embassy looking very 'not happy', embassy is closed for one week due to Eid, come back next Monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No message on website, no message on answering machine.

Back to station, back to Abingdon, back to ferry, back to France.

Next week end, ferry on Sunday evening, go to Abingdon and stay overnight. Monday another 45 pound train trip and tube etc. Get to Embassy about 0915, opens at 0900. Queue out of door and down the street. Get inside eventually and discover that certs will be 3 days turn round...or...pay 30 quid per cert for same day service, OK but.......only cash accepted, no credit cards - SH**. I have insufficient  cash, and no cash card either.

Back to station, back to Abingdon and get cash from No 2 daughter.

Change ferry booking and stay overnight.

Tuesday back to station, 45 notes for train, get to embassy, only about 12 people in queue today. Do the biz, and then spend next 5 hours in science museum waiting until collection time for certs. Back to station, back to abingdon, back to ferry, back to France, having arranged for DHL to courier certs to UAE ( 50+ pounds).

Total cost in time and money for 3 certificates (all dating back to 1968) - 600+ pounds and 2 1/2 weeks.

On arrival in UAE I was told they only needed one of the certificates anyway.[:(]

Oi mate, ooh you callin a semi - ayrab?????

I had completely dismissed all thoughts of Ramadan and its implications, they could at least have mentioned it on the website.

Yes it is worth it now, I went back to my old place yesterday but there wern't enough people there to really rub it in, apart from my old boss who is one of the good guys, even if he is a Londoner.