Thinking of moving to France

ashill

I am a Tree Surgeon running a small business down in Devon (Ashill Arboriculture. Web site: ashillarb.co.uk). We are looking at the possibility of moving to France and brining my equipment with us to start up a small Tree Surgery Business close to Mayenne, Pays de la Loire. I know the logistics of starting up a small business in France differ from the UK and that it will not be an easy task. I supose that my question is, would there be a call for an English Tree Surgeon in France and would there be any work for me ??

Kind Regards to All

Stephen Fiher

Excuse my ignorance, but is an English tree surgeon different from a French one, apart from the language? I don't know how much demand there is for tree surgeons, although around here (Morbihan) there's a lot of pruning of hedgerow trees to make them look like bottle brushes.

If you can't sell your services to the French (therefore need at least a working knowledge of the spoken language) you aren't likely to succeed in any business venture at present. Many Brits are dependent on pensions or other sterling income that has lost 30% of its value in the last year or two. Although some are still comfortable many are feeling the pinch and paying for stuff like tree surgery would be a low priority.

On the admin side, tree surgery may fall under the 'agricultural' category of activities and that's a bit of an oddity. Do your homework first. If Chris Head is still around he might be able to give you some pointers.

Certainly I don't reckon there are enought Brits around here to sustain a business exclusively for them - the Mayenne is a bit more popular with them, as far as I can see.  But the timber business is very big around here with lots of forestry and thus many sawmills etc. 

The caveats for tree surgeons are, I'm sure, pretty much the same as for anybody wanting to set up in business over here: France has a higher rate of unemployment than the UK; many locals live on much smaller incomes than Brits are used to and thus they tend to do these sorts of things for themselves, rather than paying others; many trades are highly regulated and require French qualifications and language skills - but I have no idea if this would apply to yours;  the cost - in terms of taxes and social security payments - especially the latter - have been, until now, prohibitive, but you may qualify under the "autoentrepreneur" scheme (pop this into the search box, top right and you will see it is being much discussed as a possible cheaper way of getting started in business here) which is less costly, at least initially; you would certainly have to be insured - as you no doubt are in the UK - and this may be more expensive here - it often is!

It's all about research, planning and attitude as to whether you can survive here with a small business

If you can organise and run a similar business in the the UK and you are prepared to go the extra mile to set up your business here you have a fair chance

I do very well but a lot of the people who set up years back at the same time as me have struggled from day one

Even if you do well it is not easy and you have to be on the ball all the time

Allow yourself time to build a good reputation, time that you will possibly have to fund, then do all neccessary to maintain your reputation and you will do well

Come here prepared to work and work hard, not for a holiday with a bit of work thrown in

Le Plombier

• 2 months later...
In additon to the above I think that there may be two other things to consider.

This is likely to be considerd a metier, controlled by the Chambre des Metiers who may be interested in what qualifications you have. Your business registration and insurances will have to allow you to work at heights, which I am sure will affect the costs involved.