selling goods in uk

johnycarper

Can anyone advise what tax you would have to pay if any if you exported goods to the uk from France.I am thinking of taking household goods purchased here and tva paid here and selling in the uk.I have looked on the tax site in uk but its not clear what i would be liable for,any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

There are no restrictions on the movement of TVA paid personal goods

across borders however once you start to do it as a commercial

enterprise different rules may apply.

As I understand it goods bought in France in the course of business

would be free of TVA (a bit difficult for the sort of things you mention

I grant) but would become liable to VAT on resale in the UK.

I assume you are French resident in which case remember what you propose will amount to running a business here which of course opens up a whole other Pandoras box.

Hi,Thanks for the reply and at the moment i am just trying to see what is involved in selling like this,but it looks like its going to be a lot of form filling so nort sure its worth all the hassle and effort.

Hopefully someone will have all the answers and i can then judge if its worth the time,

john

As you're moving back, then I'd think most of your stuff could be exported as household goods (unless you've got a lot of professional kit to take back which might be treated slightly differently.)  Wait a few months then who's to stop you flogging your goods and chattels in Britain once you live there?  I'm sure what AnO says is right, but I can't imagine that all the people who sell on e-bay every day in Britain declare the profits they make on there, do they?

On the other hand, the impression I get is that people seem to ask a lot more for second hand goods in France (whether they ever get the often daft prices they ask is another matter though!).  Thus, might it not just be more straighforward to sell on Leboncoin?

EDIT : As for paperwork, when we moved over here the removers made a list for customs but I don't think anybody looked at it.  My friends who went back to the UK last year have taken a few van loads of their stuff back over the past few months and have never been asked for any bits of paper.

Registering for VAT in the UK is not mandatory until your annual turnover exceeds a certain amount. The limit is currently £77000. If your turnover is less than this then provided you pay TVA when buying the goods in France you can sell them without VAT in UK. Any profit should be declared as income in the country where you are tax resident.