Pavillion style houses -how to tell the difference in construction?

We have been looking at Pavillion type new build houses.Locally, they seem to vary a great deal in price for the same size house from company to company, but having been round a few we cannot discern much difference to warrant such a discrepancy.

The contracts seem to be roughly the same, as do the construction methods and materials ( as far as we can tell - we have seen similar properties in various stages of construction and to the untrained eye, they look about the same).

Is it really a case of you get what you pay for or can it pay to be thrifty?

[quote user="beryl"]

The contracts seem to be roughly the same, as do the construction methods and materials ( as far as we can tell - we have seen similar properties in various stages of construction and to the untrained eye, they look about the same).

[/quote]

They will be the same, the same rubbish materials used in all french new builds. The difference in price might be the more expensive one actually mortars the blocks together rather than just standing one atop the other.

We had the same problem a few years ago and then found that the cheaper prices didnt include windows, gutters, and lots of other things. Also as a hidden extra the cheaper price insisted we contract a maitre d ouvre, which would up the price ?%. Check EXACTLY what you are getting for the price. We did get remarkably different prices from the firms used to dealing only with the French.

I have a pavillon which was built in 1978. When we bought it two years ago, we were handed the full dossier and original building spec, which has proved invaluable in the works we are having done at the moment. It is very thorough. I have to say that the house is amazing in terms of insulation. Easy to keep warm and stays cool in the summer. May not be to everyone's taste, but for us it has been a brilliant buy.

Two suggestions :

1. The various companies normally have open days on newly compleated houses. I visit a couple of examples with very on even floors, poor tilling and skirting. If they were happy to do this on 'show dyas' what are they liike on others ?  The local newspaper or even free sheets normally list theses or ask the sales representative whne the next on is.

2. Bordeaux, Paris and a number of other major cities have permenant 'expos' of houses built by the turn key companies. They use the houses as offices/show homes. The Bordeaux one is at the exhibition centre which is just the other side of the Rocade from Ikea.

The people we bought our house from (ancient old farm) are moving into a new build.  They got prices from 3 builders and chose the middle one.  No logic to it, really.  You can get new builds in traditional type style - doesn't have to be a Lego box.

• 4 weeks later...

A pavillion is basically a "modern" style house.  They can be single story bungalows (plein pied) or have a sous-sol (basement) which doubles the floor area.  With a sous-sol, the living area is on the first floor and the garage/utility rooms on the ground floor.  Many have their sous-sols wholly or partly underground. 

Our's is a 1973 pavillion.  We bought it from a retired builder who built the house himself.  The build quality is outstanding - makes our old 1960's UK house look like a shed.

Tout à fait, La Vette - we live in a 1780's pavillion!  I think tj was railing against new builds. 

I've been in a number of our friends' new build houses and by and large the quality of finish seems as good as what you would typically see in the UK.  And don't forget that long warranty you get on any faults (10 years, is it?).  But I can't understand why they go for a basic, featureless box shape - it doesn't have to be like that.  Though I suppose it is cheaper that way.

Thanks for the support Cassis.  I live in a new build, finished in October last year.  The only problem with the finish was a bit of sanding of the walls before we painted as we decided to do our own decorating.  Anything actually not to our satisfaction was put right at each site meeting.  Contrary to popular belief we did not have to pay extra for windows, mortar between the bricks or even a whole roof.  What we did pay for ourselves and would have had to pay extra for were:-  flooring in the bedrooms - the rest of the house has beautiful tile floors throughout, and we put in our own kitchen - could have cost up to 9,000 euros but we bought from Hygiena for 2500 euro (les soldes) and hubby put it in himself.  We have a beautiful, maintenance free house that is a dream to keep clean and it has a 10 year guarantee.  The specification of the built is to very exacting standards and regulations in terms of energy efficinecy, insulation, soundproofing between bedrooms etc and I love it.  Also it is not a bog standard box shape, it is a very unusual W shape which makes the shape of some of the bedrooms a bit quirky.

I am not putting down the beautiful old houses some of you buy and renovate but, for example, our friends bought a barn conversion 15 years ago and, although it has been renovated to the highest standard and is very much the French dream, it is still not finished and they are tired of continually working on it and now carrying out maintenance.  I went for a different dream and it is not up to someone to knock that from under me especially when they don't know what they are talking about.

By the way, for those of you thinking of new build and worrying about the low costs (is it a con etc), my 4 bedroom house (140 sq m) cost £75,000 plus another £7,500 for the work we put in.

There, I have had my say now - I hope you have all found great happiness here with whatever your dream was, I am more than happy with mine. 

La Vette, I wish our house was a w shape - We've got a box, but a lovely box, which is 20 years old, 5 bedrooms, two bathrooms, and fairly low maintenance - basically, just what we needed for a hectic lifestyle.

On the otherhand my sister has an old, very old, farmhouse with lots of potential.   Luckily she's a little nearer retirement than me, has a hubby who can do what ever needs to be done, whereas mine is studying or working.

It's great that we're not all the same!

[quote user="La Vette"]

I am not putting down the beautiful old houses some of you buy and renovate but, for example, our friends bought a barn conversion 15 years ago and, although it has been renovated to the highest standard and is very much the French dream, it is still not finished and they are tired of continually working on it and now carrying out maintenance.  I went for a different dream and it is not up to someone to knock that from under me especially when they don't know what they are talking about.

By the way, for those of you thinking of new build and worrying about the low costs (is it a con etc), my 4 bedroom house (140 sq m) cost £75,000 plus another £7,500 for the work we put in.

[/quote]

Quite so.  One of our French neighbours moved to Ancinnes from Paris and bought an old farmhouse.  After two years of trying to get it into shape they gave up, flogged it off and bought a new build.

Fortunately ours wasn't in such bad nick!

Yours sounds like it was a great deal - quite a bit less than the 1000€ to 1200€ per sqm that is usually quoted for new build.