Paying a deposit after signing the compromis

vivienz

I understand from the immo that the signed compromis etc. were sent to the notaire a couple of weeks ago. As yet, I've heard nothing from the notaire, including bank account details to pay the deposit.

I'm wondering whether to chase this and contact the notaire myself, but I would prefer to have the bank details confirmed in writing of some sort (e.g. email) before making a transfer, just in case an error of some sort occurs. I would have thought that the seller would be chasing from his end, but I have no direct contact with him and don't know if this is the case.

When and what should I expect from the notaire?

What would people advise?

Thanks,

Vivien

The notaire may be waiting for the seller to sign..

It is strange though that you weren't given a RIB with the IBAN and BIC numbers of the Notaire's account.

For my last purchase, admittedly for a small amount, no-one asked for a deposit.

The Notaire simply asked for a cheque to cover his expenses so he was assured of those if I pulled out.

This isn't 'standard' of course, but it shows that these things are not written in stone.

I have never paid a substantial deposit

[quote user="NormanH"]For my last purchase, admittedly for a small amount, no-one asked for a deposit.

The Notaire simply asked for a cheque to cover his expenses so he was assured of those if I pulled out.

This isn't 'standard' of course, but it shows that these things are not written in stone.

[/quote]

The Notaire asked for 100€ from us as a 'guarantee of good faith'.

The estate agent suggested we make a deposit of €10K to the Notaire's client holding account - handily for the immo this being the cost of his fees in case we legged it - which was about 3% of the purchase price.

As NH says this is not written in stone.

Sue

[quote user="vivienz"]Thanks, Sue and Norman.  I think I will sit tight for now and wait to hear from the notaire.  The compromis has been signed by the sellers; it was signed by them before it was sent to us, so the documents should all be in order.

[/quote]

Believe me; if the notaire wants some money from you, he/she will let you know very quickly!

[quote user="vivienz"]I understand from the immo that the signed compromis etc. were sent to the notaire a couple of weeks ago. 

When and what should I expect from the notaire? [/quote]

It is not unusual for delays to occur; it happened to us. The original date for completion was chosen, then put back, then brought forward rather suddenly when the Notaire realised that he would be on holiday on the 'new' date.

Sue

• 1 month later...
Just an update on our property purchase on St Jacut.

I had an email from the notaire on Friday (whoa, yes, a notaire sending an email!) to advise me that they had that day completed their file on our prospective purchase.  Neither hubby nor I can get over to France before early January now, so we'll ask our friends to sign on our behalf with a suitable power of attorney so that everything can go through as soon as possible.

It's been an interesting experience and far, far more straightforward than I thought it would be, but I suspect a large part of that is due to the tiny size of the property and it being empty, etc.  Once we signed the compromis, everything went into a period of complete radio silence until last Friday.  Hubby and I took the view that the vendor is French and so was far better positioned to chivvy the notaire along and we would hear from them, one way or another, once things had moved on.  I don't think we anticipated it being in quite such large steps, but all to the good.

The notaire still hasn't sent bank details, so I've requested these along with a breakdown of all fees and charges and a copy of the Acte to make sure everything is in order.  They seem to have been efficient in dealing with it, I estimate a total of 8 weeks, which is good going.

So fingers crossed now that the final stages are as trouble free as the previous ones and then we can have a post Christmas break on St Jacut.  Very exciting!

The final copy of the Acte and the bill with a final balance won't be ready for several months.

I have just received mine from my purchase in April.

You may be able to get a provisional copy of the proposed acte before signature to spped things up but not all Notaires do this.

That's interesting, NormanH. I should have said 'draft copy' of the Acte as that's all it can be before it is signed and registered, I guess.

Re. the payment to the notaire, what will this include? I'm working on the assumption that it will have any apportionment of taxes, notaire fees and the estate agent fee (I'm not sure about the latter, though, and whether the notaire distributes this).

If the final bill doesn't arrive for some months after the date of purchase, does this mean that there may be more to pay or a reimbursement at that time?

Put your mind at rest re further amounts to pay.

The notaire will be pretty careful to check for all fees (his, estate agents', etc) and taxes and he will give you a figure to pay into his account and a date by which you need to pay.  The date will normally include time for all monies to be cleared on the date of signing.

Furthermore, he will ask for a bit over and above and, when he does send you all the details and a breakdown of what you paid, you will get a cheque back to put in your brand new French account![:D]

[quote user="NormanH"]The final copy of the Acte and the bill with a final balance won't be ready for several months.[/quote]

That's not necessarily true, we settled up completely on the day, including a refund cheque from the Notaire because we'd transferred over the odds, and walked away with a copy of the acte.

Also a deposit is not mandatory and is a matter between seller and buyer, if none is asked for then none need be given.

Very helpful - thanks, all.

We haven't had to pay a deposit at all in this instance; we waited for a request to come through but none did, so I guess the seller was reasonably relaxed about things.

I guess that we will transfer funds a few days in advance as I know that even with a TT or SWIFT transfer, there can be a delay of a day or two before funds are guaranteed as cleared due to the ability of the originating bank to recall funds, but I'll check. I'm sure that the notaire will advise on what is required.

I'd allow a  good margin for the transfer.

Not suggesting that you are but I know some tight wads will wait until the last minute just in case the exchange rate tips in their favour by 1/2 a cent and save them £20 but it's just not worth the risk of the money not being there on the day, and of course it can backfire on you costing money instead of saving it !