English three core cable

CeeJay

During the years I have been on this forum, never mind the Newbie bit, I have read the discussion regarding the relative merits of using English 3 core electric cable, and have always used the French version. However I am now in the process of extending some socket outlets in my garage in 'sunny 34' and have also found at home in Uk a very large quantity on 2.5mm sheathed cable.

Can anyone tell me, hello Paul, definitively if I can use this cable in France without dangering my house insurance if anything goes wrong?

The only cable that you can use in France that complies with the regulations should be marked "NF" (Normes France). This usually would exclude UK sourced cables. As I have mentioned here before, UK types of domestic cable, such as flat twin and earth, have the wrong colour codes (black is a phase colour in France and is used for neutral in fixed wiring cables in the UK), and also have a bare earth wire which is not the same cross sectional area as the phase and neutral conductors, the latter being a requirement of the French regulations.

Punch

Just to make a general point, it really is about time that this was handled at a European level, having different standards across the Union is frustrating for those moving from on country to another, and means that electricians have to retrain if they want to move.

The other thing is that a rethink would allow for "best in class" solutions to be implemented.

Simon

[quote]Just to make a general point, it really is about time that this was handled at a European level, having different standards across the Union is frustrating for those moving from on country to another,...[/quote]

It is being handelled on a European level. Check out the Screwfix forum for a discussion of what is being implemented in Southern Ireland/The Irish Republic. There are sound techinical arguments in favour of flat three core ring mains however there are also arguments in favour of NFs. Both are safe if well installed.

Anton Redman ( please could I get my login back)