pick axe handles

Graham & Brenda

Good evening Graham

Have you tried Leroy Merlin's?

They definitely sell pick axes as can be seen here http://www.leroymerlin.fr/mpng2-front/pre?zone=zonecatalogue&idLSPub=1048595701&1043163847.idnode=4683917&02-multicritere-render=off&01-comment-choisir-render=on&03-zoom-produit-render=off&04-selectionne-pour-vous-render=off&09-Q2Q-render=off

so I presume that they will sell the handles separately as well.

I am in Dunkerque tomorrow (Saturday) and need to go to the Leroy Merlin's there, so if I think on I will take a look for the handles and let you know what i find.

Broke our pick axe handle removing 9 inches of hardened concrete because it is uneven and not damp proofed throughout the downstairs floors. French pick axe handles are all round not oval so our head is being repatriated and we are buying a French pick axe.

Good evening Graham

Have just returned home from France and yes I did visit Leroy Merlin's at Dunkerque.

They DO sell an oval headed handle.

It is described as a "Manche Triangular Frene Hache" and it measures 7.5cm x 3.5cm for the eye and is 1 metre long.
Price of said handle is €8.90.

I appreciate that you don't live anywhere near one of Leroy Merlin's branches, but perhaps the description may assist in trying to locate one locally?

PS. Just a thought, is one metre a bit short for a pick axe handle?

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps I was lucky but I found a very old but serviceable pick axe head buried in the dirt floor of my stables. I was digging it out to lay a concrete floor and found all sorts of stuff including a spanner for a model T ford!  Anyway, this had an oval hole in it so I ordered a handle from good old Screwfix in the uk (about 4 pounds I think) Never occurred to me that  it wouldn't fit and it was just fine.  So if Screwfix have sorted out their distribution problems, having moved their excellent service from Yeovil for 'Efficiency' reasons, you could try them.

Pierre