Paint -To buy or not to buy in France?

Fitzsie

We have had conflicting information about whether it is better to buy the paint in the UK or in France. Are we correct to believe that the paint is cheaper to buy in the UK and a better quality. If that is the case are we being sensible in buying the paint here and taking it over with us when moving to France. (We need to buy a large amount of external paint as well as interior). Can anyone advise of any problem or issues of doing this?  TIA

Internal. Yes, I think it a lot cheaper and better in the UK. Worth taking.

External - I have been told that UK paint doesn't cope with the higher french temperatures. I did manage to buy some very cheap Hammerite (stock clearance - £1.50 a tin) for my shutters, so, as long as I get permission from the Mairie to change the colour I am going to take a chance on it lasting.

Hello

UK gloss paint ain't too good on shutters - I believe that is does not have the UV stability of French (designed for shutters) paint. I would buy something like Ripolin. It is marginally more expensive than UK paint, but better quality.

I'm not convinced about the UK-v-Fr quality issue. Most French gloss paints are "thixotropic" - long chain polymers and all that. They are designed as single coat paints and they work, provided that you do not overbrush them - this breaks down the molecules (like shaking a bottle of ketchup!) making the paint runnier. Thixotropic paints are "non-drip" for the same reason. I think.

Emulsion paint is a different matter. Buy British! But not the DIY shed own brands - use something like Leyland or Dulux TRADE. French emulsion is very expensive and not of good quality. I buy lots of 5L tins of Leyland white matt (£13 ea) and add dyes that I buy from the French DIY sheds - any colour available. This works out at about 1/4 of the cost of a tin of French coloured emulsion. Make sure that you mix enough the first time, it is impossible to recreate the colour.... I knows, you know!

BTW John, if you paint your shutters with hammerite (are they metal?) you will not get anything to "take" on top again, ever (even Hammerite!).

We need permission to do anything to the outside of our house because we are within 500M of a "Historic Monument" (our Church). We wanted to paint our shutters that gorgeous "Breton" Blue. No dice. White or cream (Blanc cassé).

Hi - on the subject of paint, we have just had a painter tell us that some paint which is peeling in a property we have just bought is due to one layer of paint not sticking properly to the one underneath. One of the places is on a bathroom ceiling (in a jacuzzi bathroom) so I suspect this may just be because of humidity. Has anyone come across this before?

Nick - you said 'Most French gloss paints are "thixotropic" - long chain polymers and all that. They are designed as single coat paints and they work, provided that you do not overbrush them - this breaks down the molecules (like shaking a bottle of ketchup!) making the paint runnier. Thixotropic paints are "non-drip" for the same reason. I think.'

That's right for British paint (I actually worked for a year in a paint research lab c1967 and spent happy months testing the viscosity of paints and dyes), but French paint seems to be the opposite - dilantant - or at least some of the stuff I've used is. It is thin in the tin and then stiffens up and becomes more viscous when you work it with the brush, leaving bare patches and nasty brushmarks. I haven't been lucky enough to find any good one-coat.

And why is it always in such small tins?

• 2 weeks later...

We have used all British paints - better the devil you know - we have had some good deals in Focus on Crown emulsion.

Re. Shutters - we had ours stripped - cost alot (186euros for 4 pairs)but it was a good job, we then used a woodstain bought again from Focus. So far they have stood up to the French weather.  We also had the interiors doors treated the same way but waxed them.  They look really good.

Paint again!, I hope I don't get my ears chewed this time.

Sadolin lasts well on new wood outside in 72. For emulsion Wickes trade matt has good opacity and is cheap in 15lt tubs but does not like being left in a frosty garage, B&Q own brand, OK if you have the time for 5 or 6 coats. M Bricolage own brand Acrylic Matte BW, good opacity and quite reasonable, my current favourite. I refuse to pay the silly prices for the "Premium" French brands.

Peter

" B&Q own brand, OK if you have the time for 5 or 6 coats. I refuse to pay the silly prices for the "Premium" French brands. "

I may be loosing the plot but the cost of 5 or 6 coats versus two coats of decent French paint ? There was a rather good post on the Screwfix site under the heading 'Once'

French paint is very expensive! I would definitely bring over paint if given the choice. Interior paint equivalent to Dulux etc is more than double plus the price. 

However, we've used Astral exterior masonary paint at 90 euros for 10 litres, which has been quite easy to apply and seems to be a good quality paint( we chose our own colour and had it mixed). But, we are now ordering our 10th tin and may need more!Oh la la! 

Definitely purchase interior in England.

"French paint is very expensive! I would definitely bring over paint if given the choice. Interior paint equivalent to Dulux etc is more than double plus the price."

A continuing old chestnut!

Dulux paint in France is sold under the Dulux Valentine tradename. This company is within the the overall Dulux operation. Dulux UK colour shades are available in France, either under another shade name or can be mixed at a retail outlet with a mixing facility.

With regard to prices then you need to go to a trade supplier - most are happy to supply non-trade customers.

If you can plan your paint requirements in advance, then there is is no reason why you should not be able to reach a good deal on the costs. This can make the difference in cost not worth the hassle of bringing paint from the UK.

You will also be supporting the French economy - but then I meet meet people who bring plasterboard from the UK!

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

"French paint is very expensive! I would definitely bring over paint if given the choice. Interior paint equivalent to Dulux etc is more than double plus the price."

Dulux paint in France is sold under the Dulux Valentine tradename. This company is within the the overall Dulux operation. Dulux UK colour shades are available in France, either under another shade name or can be mixed at a retail outlet with a mixing facility.

With regard to prices then you need to go to a trade supplier - most are happy to supply non-trade customers.

If you can plan your paint requirements in advance, then there is is no reason why you should not be able to reach a good deal on the costs. This can make the difference in cost not worth the hassle of bringing paint from the UK.

You will also be supporting the French economy - but then I meet people who bring plasterboard from the UK!

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke

You will also be supporting the French economy - but then I meet people who bring plasterboard from the UK!

Kind regards,

Bob Clarke