French sockets etc

Marcel

does anyone know a web site or whatever where one can but french electrical sockets etc at reasonable costs please.  The bricos seem quite expensive compared to the price i can by a single/double british socket say from screwfix.  Srewfix equivalent perhaps?

thankyou  

thanks Tim.  So I guess everyone finds the Bricos the cheapest and there isn't an internet company that sells french electrical sockets etc in GB

marcel (not really a newbie, as I was one of the originals way back under a different name -member number 28 if I recall properly)

Marcel

I had a look in Leroy Merlins. The price of sockets seem to vary a great deal.

I found one labelled "Prise 2 Pole + Terre 10-16A" (presumably rated to take between 10 and 16 amps) and that was priced at €6.29.
There were others that were also two pin and earth but I could not find any rating on them and they were priced as low as €2.61.

Sorry I cannot be of more help to you.

ref electrical sockets; Castorama have a coloured range of inset sockets and switches though they were around 22 euros apiece.OW!!

Brico depot at Caen have only basic white but are cheaper. Imported SS switches for a friend from UK electrical wholesaler as they were marked CEE and installed them according to French regs..Cost £3,88 each..

Good hunting Jeremy.

NB to add to one debate, not a newbie but change of e-mail means loss of old titles/posts..

[quote]We've been looking around and can only find the very basic white sockets. Does anyone know if there are any others available anywhere? Stainless steel for example?[/quote]

I didn't see any of those in Leroy Merlin's. They were all white sockets the only variation on the theme being coloured surrounds.

Go to http://www.leroymerlin.fr and enter the word prise in the box marked moteur de recherche at the top of the page.
The results page gives three options and one is marked as having 259 listings. Click on that and you will see what I mean.

Imported SS switches for a friend from UK electrical wholesaler as they were marked CEE and installed them according to French regs..Cost £3,88 each..

Are these UK sockets? If so, despite being CE marked, they are not legal for use in France, regardless of how they are installed (CE marking is not about approvals, it is about conformity to appropraite standards). They must be NF marked for use in France, or BS marked for use in UK, etc.

Thanks for everyone's input on this.  Firstly let me say that I have had a place in France for over 20 years, love France ,and am not wingeing. But someone out there must be making a lot of money from electrical gear in France.

One can buy good quality double sockets for £3.60 each in GB, whereas the equivalent French item works out from Castorama at £7.92.  No wonder I see in all my french friends houses single sockets everywhere with mountains of adapters on adapters hanging from the walls.

I am currently rebuilding in France and need to buy 50 double sockets , so you can see why I ask if there is anywhere else besides expensive Bricos to buy sockets.

Marcel

Have you looked at the Arnould range of switches and sockets? These are moduler and can be clipped together to give doubles etc ,the same with there back boxes.I have seen them on sale in Leroy Merlins otherwise look in yellow pages under electricité,électronique:materiel et fournitures(gros).

As you require so many double sockets, have you tried asking for a discount in any of the brico stores or even the smaller local ones. In my experiences if you are buying materials in large quantities there are usually discounts to be had, but you have to ask for them.

Hope this to be of assistance.

Kind regards

David and Sam

Dept 37

I'm very fond of the LeGrand Mosaic range of sockets as they seem better constructed than most of the French items, and you can have all sort of different connectors in the same double/triple point eg 2 power and a TV/telephone/rj45 etc.   I used to get then at Brico, but the supply is inconsistent at best.  Is there an online retailer?

Simon