dry lining and wall cabinets

Nev

Our kitchen has been dry-lined with plasterboard with skimmed joints and then emulsioned. Fairly standard I guess. By using a detector it sounds to me as though the supports for these boards is some sort of metal batten framework. We now wish to add some kitchen units as there are no wall-mounted ones.

My question is: are these plasterboards capable of supporting wall cabinets attached by using cavity fixings? Or have I to somehow either attach through to the original stone wall or to the supporting brackets?

Forgive my ignorance, but was all the plasterboard fixed to metal brackets or was some stuck to the walls?  If it's all attached to metal, unless you got in before they were attached and perhaps specified horizontal brackets were to be added, they will probably all be vertical brackets which makes it darn difficult to hang anything.  I had the same problem in my kitchen and have resorted to a combination of shelving (on custom-built, wrought-iron, freestanding brackets and also wall hung using those really groovy - you can tell I'm a woman - expanding metally butterfly screwy things (please don't laugh too much ), sorry cavity fixings!  I'm no expert, as you can tell, (tee hee!!!)  but if there is a simple solution I'd like to know too!

Hi Nev

We have got the same plasterboard walls in our kitchen and share your problem.  The way we tackled it was to have no actual wall hung cupboards at all - instead we have got a couple of tall, floor standing larder units (over 2 metres high) in the corner of the kitchen with one of those long glazed display units that sit on the work surface next to them.  We bought the kitchen in MFI here in the UK and are hiring a van to bring it over.

Sorry I can't come up with anything more imaginative to solve the problem

Sasha

We had this in our previous house and ordered the wall cupboards made with solid chipboard backs. I think some cheaper ones are thin hardboard which is not good enough.

Backs were drilled (4 fixings per cupboard) and accurately drilled, plugged and screwed into the plasterboard. We used Fischer plugs & 50mm#10 screws but there are loads of heavyweight plastic plasterboard plugs on the market.

Each wall cupboard was bolted to it's neighbour with 2 bolts.

Some cupboards were loaded up with china etc. and never caused a problem. Tiling tightly up to the underside would have helped with stability as well.

The only time things get difficult is if the room is out of square or needs packing out to maintain a straight line of cupboards!

Good luck!

Hi

The manufacturers of the plasterboard and those making the mollies (sp?) claim 30kg per mollie. This is normally equal to 60kg per fitted high level unit.

Of course it depends how the PB was attached ?

I've fitted out 3 kitchens in the last 12 months on this basis and had no problems ............ yet.

Peter

• 4 weeks later...

Just seen this post and question.

If you have not solved the problem, one answer is to locate where the units will be fitted and fixing points and mark the wall. Cut through the plasterboard so that you can securely fix a timber to the stone or brick behind the plasterboard with the face of the timber either flush with the outer face of the plasterboard so that the unit can then be srewed to this timber. Or for a neater job, and in case you ever move the units, fix the timber upto the back of the plasterboard, refix the cut out piece of plasterboard with Gripfix or similar, fill the joint round to get a flush surface and hang the unit.

Hope this helps you and/or others, rgds, Truffleman

We fit many Kitchens in this situation.

Mark the wall along top height of wall cupboards, measure down 15 cms and mark. Then mark length of run (cupboards joined side to side).  Remove with stanley knife the 15 cms strip of plasterboard the required length and replace with strip of ply  (same depth or a wee bit shy of original plasterboard), double screwed into metal/wooden studs.

You now have a solid hanger section of wall the length of wall cupboards on which to fix your top wall cupboard hangers.

hope this helps

Marcel

Yes, we've used mollies to hang large mirrors and pictures; and I know that they are supposed to be able to bear quite a weight but I'm not sure that I'd trust them to hold a kitchen cabinet full of tins, jars and packets or crockery.

We were lucky as we knew where the wall units were going when we dry lined that wall, so reinforced the back at the time. Maybe unnecessary but you never know.......

regards.....helen

• 2 weeks later...