tiling on a Chipboard Floor

Tim_Quincaillerie

[quote]Has anyone tiled on Chipboard before and what did you use on for a sound surface.? ps I seem to posting every 5 minutes at the moment.[/quote]

Hi,

Generally speaking, tiling onto chipboard is NOT recommended, although it obviously can be done if you are willing to take the risk.  For some good questions and answers, and technical info. on lots of subjects, - this site  http://doityourself.com/  is quite good - although it is american, the majority of info. is applicable.  Hope this helps

Brian

Succesfully in France using glass fibre mesh like a tennis net stapled to floor and French cement with a tile on wood addative. Succesfully in France using two thicknesses of 18 mm hydrofuge chipboard and 'Tile on Wood sourced form UK. Sucessfully in UK having first nailed plywood over chipboard.

If you can get the floor sufficiently stiff. then you should be UK. My test is if I jump up and down and the floor does not move then it is strong enough. If it moves the tiles and or grout will crack.

[quote]Has anyone tiled on Chipboard before and what did you use on for a sound surface.? ps I seem to posting every 5 minutes at the moment.[/quote]

Tiling on chipboard is an absolute No!No!as far as I am aware. I have seen a number of properties where this method was adopted and failed miserably after a short time. The problem with chipboard is that it expands and contracts depending on moisture levels, not to mention the dreaded creaking at the joints and abutments. if you are looking for a longer lasting professional finish, I would recommend that you remove the chipboard and replace with 19mm ply. On the other hand, if this is not possible a cheaper alternative would be to overlay the chipboard with 6mm ply. You must remember to seal the surface including joints with "PVA".

Good luck.

Denis

Tiling over standard chipboard is probably not a good idea.

As a minimum:

Use hydrofuge tongue & grooved OSB (oriented strand board).

Seal the boards with Iboprim.

Seal the joints in the boards and the joint between the floor and the wall with flexible, waterproof mastic.

Cover all the joints in the panels and the joint between floor and walls with fibreglass mesh set in tile adhesive - Fermaflex Technic.

Fix the tiles with Fermaflex Technic.

Joint (grout) the tiles with Fermajoint Souple.

All of the above primers, adhesives and joints are from Weber et Broutin and available from any decent professional carrelage supplier.

For any installations above ground floor I use rubber tape on all the board and floor/wall joints, bedded in thinset adhesive.

For an open roof terrace within our own barn conversion I have tiled over OSB using Lanko SK200 waterproof membrane, applied over Lanko liquid primer.

Anton’s comments are very valid - if the floor moves, the joint and possibly the tiles too will crack.

Regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

Tiling over standard chipboard is probably not a good idea.

As a minimum:

Use hydrofuge tongue & grooved OSB (oriented strand board).

Seal the boards with Iboprim.

Seal the joints in the boards and the joint between the floor and the wall with flexible, waterproof mastic.

Cover all the joints in the panels and the joint between floor and walls with fibreglass mesh set in tile adhesive - Fermaflex Technic.

Fix the tiles with Fermaflex Technic.

Joint (grout) the tiles with Fermajoint Souple.

All of the above primers, adhesives and joints are from Weber et Broutin and available from any decent professional carrelage supplier.

For any installations above ground floor I use rubber tape on all the board and floor/wall joints, bedded in thinset adhesive.

For an open roof terrace within our own barn conversion I have tiled over OSB using Lanko SK200 waterproof membrane, applied over Lanko liquid primer.

Anton’s comments are very valid - if the floor moves, the joint and possibly the tiles too will crack.

Regards,

Bob Clarke

• 1 month later...

Keith,

I already seem to have replied to your question with a posting I made in November - what a wonderful Forum!

If you do not have an existing floor then 22/23mm hydrofuge OSB board is fine. I use Egger Eurostrand. If you are laying over joists they must be fixed down with construction adhesive (such as from Sika which you can get from any decent builders merchants) and screwed down to the joists. The adhesive and screw fixing is essential.

Follow the other steps in my posting - I forgot to mention that the rubber tape is also available from Weber et Broutin.

My best advice would be to get a copy of ‘Le Guide’ from Weber et Broutin - this is available from any decent carrelage supplier and details methods of tiling in just about any situation.

If you need any more advice please e-mail me at the address in my profile.

Regards,

Bob Clarke

"Don't do it!!!!!

I spent a fortune on special adhesive and grout and all the tiles were cracked within a year except the six I fixed with silicon because I ran out of the expennsive stuff"

Tiling onto OSB floor panels is perfectly acceptable providing you follow the routine that I have outlined.

You have obviously had poor results with an installation. Without knowing more details, the most likely cause was that the sub-floor was not stable. Only movement in the sub-floor could cause your tiles to crack.

Your experience should not deter others.

The following link might be of help for the future:

http://www.weber-broutin.fr/Servlet/Redirector;jsessionid=BWz0zsSA6ck0z9h1x2ghTUVMugegUBfsT52h1mR4iQxb23VVaTXl!-160721536?from=/Problem/GeneralGraph.jsp&action=PSFiche&random=-1402221604&id=2083

If you have any specific tiling related questions I will be happy to try and answer them at the e-mail address in my profile.

Regards,

Bob Clarke