c.l.s. scant

Dave&Olive

[quote]Is there a french equivalent to Canadian lumber stock scant? just want to put up some stud walls and do not want to use the metal lathe system the walls always feel thin and tinney ...[/quote]

I don't know what this is, but plenty of "bois de construction" is available (& is what I used until I was sold on Placostil...). Available at a lot less than in the UK, in treated or untreated form.

And it is never straight....

CLS (or Canadian Lumber Standard) is widely available from timber merchants and good DIY outlets everywhere; CLS timber, for those who don't know, has a pencil radii to each corner on it's length, and is normally fine sawn. Scant (or scantling, as is the more common term in uk) simply means square sawn timber.

To be honest, I would rarely use CLS for studwork, prefering the much cheaper rough sawn construction graded softwood, unless a customer specifically requested CLS.

Dave, it would be an interesting exercise to compare the cost of a cubic metre of rough, mass produced, ecologically dubious softwood supplied by the diy outlets and the equivalent cost of local, traditionally sawn hardwood timber. I think you might be surprised, and imagine the fun you'll have and the contacts you'll make going to find out!

Chris

ps, a very bad week, 40th birthday and 10 year old son demands to know exactly where babies come from, jeeeeez.....

Hello again Chris you and sorry forgot his name but will plug his web site gironde property sevices always seem to come up with the answers that I want reguards wood.

just wish he would reply to the post on anyone used this I put up!!

We are out for good in march to 79 and just trying to budget our renovation costs, I have based all costs on British wood (and added some) so things are looking very good cost of oak uk £50 cubic foot looks like they burn oak in france for €36 a cubic metre.

It was just a silly thought I had for bringing out some scant on my next trip £1.49 for std length in B&Q.bet I get slagged of for that one..

Glad you answered this post need a chain saw saw with a 12" ish blade easier to handle for us novices cheaper in France or U.K. Whats best make to get.

Oh buy the way don`t the find babies under oak trees in France???

Will make a point of coming down to see you and your work once we are settled

Dave , Olives in bed with the 3 cats

ps 53 son is 33 never had that prob 

I buy LOTS of wood in the uk - and buying in France is MUCH cheaper.  If you are loooking for any decent quantity, it is worthwhile going to a local sawmill.  In Limousin, there are numerous mills, and in equivalent uk price terms, in general I have found it to be 30% cheaper - local hardwoods even cheaper.  I am seriously looking at exporting some back to uk, which will help enormously with contributing to our moving costs.  For instance, I bought enough oak to make 2 sets of cut string staircases for our house for about £400 - admitedly this was in plank form, as I will plane and machine it up myself, and turn all the bannisters, but this represents half the price that I would have paid in the uk.  I also picked up some seconds of pre-machined chestnut parquet at 2 euros per sq. m. at the same time.

Hi Dave

Re Chainsaws - haven't any idea how much they cost in the UK but suggest you buy in France anyway. If anything goes wrong you will find it easier to return to local shop etc. We bought secondhand reconditioned Stihl from Weldoms and then later, new Stihl from Weldoms on promo. Have been very happy with it.  I take it back to Weldoms who clean, sharpen and oil it for 5.50 euros.

When we bought they had loads so went along the shelves lifting and swinging (without the motors going I hasten to add) until I found one that I could manage and feel safe with. Get all safety gear at the same time. Did the same with the brushcutter/strimmer.

Husqavarna is a good make also. Mindyou Chris is an expert (I only use mine for cutting logs for the fire) so he may have a better recommendation

regards.........love your cottage by the way and I'm sure once you have moved in and have heating on/ventilation sorted, your damp problems will disappear - ours did........helen

[quote]I buy LOTS of wood in the uk - and buying in France is MUCH cheaper. If you are loooking for any decent quantity, it is worthwhile going to a local sawmill. In Limousin, there are numerous mills, an...[/quote]

Brian

"...For instance, I bought enough oak to make 2 sets of cut string staircases for our house for about £400 .........I also picked up some seconds of pre-machined chestnut parquet at 2 euros per sq. m. at the same time...!

Where ? where?  We're new to the Limousin and this is precisely what I will soon be hunting for next month.

PM  me if you'd rather not advertise.

paul

Paul,

No problem - woodyard is midway between Domps and Chamberet (D30 from Eymoutiers), on the left. Sorry can't remember the name offhand, but will check when I return next month.  I had the oak, and a fair bit of softwood delivered, and had the load made up with rolls of offcut oak, which were about 10 euros each - and about 2metres in diameter, 2-3 metres in length; some of this is big enough and good enough for garden furniture etc.  If you don't mind cutting it yourself, it makes cheap firewood too.

I have visited several sawmills in the area, but these were far and away the cheapest, also ask to see their "seconds" as there are some real bargains hidden away there.  They are also going to plank up a couple of oak trees from our land, which after seasoning, I will machine up to eventually make new floors for the barn.

Hope this helps,

Brian