Dazed and Confused

The winter's can be surprisingly harsh in the south: I too am from rainy Manchester, but 2004/5 was the longest winter I've ever experienced (but the worst in 30 years over here) -- was snowing in March!

I'm in the Aude (near Carcassonne) and the summers get so hot that you really do not want to be outdoors around midday; aircon could solve the problems of stuffy nights - we just use cheap fans...

Being just north of Carcassonne you have to be careful where you buy, the terrain climbs pretty steeply and makes a massive difference: Les Martys is horrendous in winter (halfway betwixt carca' and Mazamet).

Loads of wind and plenty of rain (for the south), but generaly great weather.

I like Albi and Castres, Cordes sur ciel type areas (tarn?) and also loved Aveyron (west) but the winters can be frightening there.

Bordeaux is meant to be a bit dull (culturally speaking - never been myself, wouldn't say no to a vineyard there!).

Perpignan and Narbonne are very windy I think.

I didn't like the terrain around Tolouse and the city wasn't as lively as I expected.

Cherbourg and such have to be considered because of the practicalities of catching a ferry: but the weather can't be that different from the south of england.

Way of life anywhere in France is 100% better!

Exactly, Cassis. Nice weather is a bonus - not the main reason for us moving to another country. I am probably viewing France with rose tinted specs but it looks so lovely. From what I've read the main downsides are bureaucracy and flies, so if that's as bad as it gets I can't wait! However, there is so much wonderful property out there in every region that the prospect of actually choosing anything is very daunting. Did any of you folk find it so? We had previously thought of moving to Spain but (apart from the heat!) the prices are ridiculous. For the price of a square, featureless box you can buy some brilliant houses with loads of character, outbuildings, land etc - but I'm preaching to the converted aren't I?

[quote user="Alexis"]

Where does the mistral roam down South?  I wouldn't like that.

[/quote]

Straight down the Rhone Valley and a good few kms either side of it.

It can be very strong, but it's the duration of it that gets on your wick. A week or so is not unusual, but only 3 times in 2 yrs for us I think (others who have been here longer will know better). You soon forget about it - till next time. 

[quote user="ladywriter"]

We had previously thought of moving to Spain but (apart from the heat!) the prices are ridiculous. For the price of a square, featureless box you can buy some brilliant houses with loads of character, outbuildings, land etc - but I'm preaching to the converted aren't I?

[/quote]

At the risk of drifting off topic (as I usually do) I would say that in many parts of France the prices are starting to catch up - that certainly seems to be the view of those who have been here a few years more than us.  But there again, it's all relative - I think the UK has still out-boomed France, even in the last 5 years. 

Got to be careful that the renovations on the characterful French property don't turn the place into a Gallic version of The Money Pit!

I've no idea about Spain.  Some friends of ours were looking at buying there but ended up buying two apartments in Egypt this year as investments.

Reading all of these comments on the Forum is fascinating, but I note that nobody seems to reside in Burgundy. Do you all know something that I don't.

We chose this location as it is so easy to travel through France from here to find where we really want to live. 4 Years later, still here.

Very cold in Winter, but shortlived and reasonably dry.

Still searching for the 'Perfect Place' but don't think it really exists.

Can't believe I'm going to London by Eurostar this week for only 80€ RETURN, now that is a good reason to live here. (if you like London!)

DONT sell all!Replacing in France is generally much more difficult and expensive to replace all white goods etc.Sourcing is much more time consuming considering the distances involved and the somewhat slower marketing systems that the stores "offer"-deliveries are not usually as promised.Rent certainly,our mistake made in disposing of our house in UK then searching whilst also living in our caravan.We found that the areas we had earmarked,didnt come up to our expectations and were far too flat and rural for us,so moved again to an area we had visited the year before.Only wish we could have held onto the uk property and rented it out,especially in view of the house increases in Blighty.C,est la vie!!!!Hindsight is wonderfull,after the event.Still sort of looking for the more ideal house in the right area.We are both somewhat disappointed to find that the winter weather even in the Vendee is just as cold (-14oC) at times,wetter than  yorkshire,or at least far more humid, than anticipated,but at least the winters are shorter-allegedly.Not this last year anyway.good luck in your search,we are all looking for paradise!!! Maude 

we did consider southern burgundy which we were told was lovely and very underrated.  but we found out that the winters were seriously cold.  i am still curious about burgundy, however, and would be looking to holiday there some time

my husband always says that the trouble with france is that the last place you visit is always the nicest.  we looked in 3 or 4 other regions before buying in the charente maritime.  and that was more through good luck than good judgement, i'm afraid

all best wishes with your hunt