exposing internal stone wall

Issigeacois

We want to remove the plaster (or is it render?) from one of the internal walls in our kitchen here in 24 to expose the stone. We're wondering...

1. Is this the kind of job that relatively inexperienced DIYers can handle or should we turn it over to a pro?

2. If DIY is the way to go, can anyone point us to a resource (book, website, forum thread) that could help walk us through the process?

3. Finally, are there any must-know tips that anyone can offer about making this job easier, ensuring we don't make big mistakes (like encouraging dampness), and getting a great final look?

I've looked through the forum threads of "lime render on internal walls" and "removing rendering" and "lime rendering" but haven't seen the specific answers I'm looking for.

Thanks and best regards,

Mike 

I have just done much the same in my front sitting room.  It was a mixture of plaster on the top half and cement on the bottom.  The cement was tough to do but my big drill with the chisel attachment soon sorted it out.

You can do it as long as you have 'tough' drills that will cut through the plaster/cement like butter.  The sledge hammer didn't make a mark.

Lots and lots of dust.  It really needs pressure washing to get really clean which isn't easy if you have a wooden floor, for example.  Lime/sand mix to fill in between the stones.

Trouble is I'm not sure that I like it!  Still, if I plasterboard it I can now see where to fix the fixings!

[quote]I have just done much the same in my front sitting room. It was a mixture of plaster on the top half and cement on the bottom. The cement was tough to do but my big drill with the chisel attachment ...[/quote]

I wouldn't class myself as an expert but a time-served DIYer and I think that over here in France the render at the bottom of internal walls serves to prevent damp penetration.  Before you do too much, and regret it, it may be wise to get some specific advice on your walls.

weedon

Mike,

From the old properties that I have worked on in this area, your internal render is almost certain to be a very strong cement and sand mixture.

If you have a lot of time on your hands you can remove it with a chisel and hammer - I use a small Makita SDS percussion hammer with chisel bits. Even with this it is a very tedious, messy job. You would probably be better off paying a local maçon to come and strip the walls for you.

Repointing is more enjoyable - as someone else has suggested, a sand and lime mix is good, but unless you are very careful with the ratio of the mixes, you will end up with different colours with each mix.

Probably easier to use a ready mixed compound such as Orsol mortier-joint (they are on the N21 between Plaisance and Castillonnès and their products are available from Michel Balse in Villeréal) An alternative would be Terralit F from Weber et Broutin which you can obtain from Wendel in Villeneuve-sur-Lot. The advantage of a commercial product is that you can work at your own speed and mix the quantity you require and it will dry to the same colour.

Regards,

Bob Clarke
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/grindoux

I don't care how you do it, the wall will always generate grit - well ours does and was done properly - just the fact that the wall surface is uneven will allow dust and 'things/stuff' to live in crevices. I would not want this in a kitchen but we are doing quite a lot of walls like this elsewhere where the dust and grit is not so much a problem.

Funny thing is that I watched a UK TV prog today and they exposed the kitchen wall (very similar to a French stone wall) and the building regs man came and told them to plaster it - which they did, on top of the stone - no plasterboard for them.

The previous owner of our house exposed, cleaned up and pointed with lime mortar some internal stone walls. To prevent dust he then varnished the walls. It kind of defeats the 'breathability' of the lime mortar, but there is no dust and I think the varnish accentuates the stone colour. Wet a stone to see what I mean.

There has been a discussion on this in the past. Someone mentioned that watered down PVA glue stabilises the stone and prevents the dust and grit.  We are planning on exposing some stone walls and thought we would use this method. Would you recommend the varnish over the PVA?

Having had the lecture from our architect about the importance of letting the stones breath and the mortar 'move' as stone walls are always on the move, there is no way we would take the risk with sealing the wall in any way. We have not yet been in a French property where this has been done or heard of a French professional who does this.

Thanks to all for your replies. It seems that in answer to my first question, folks feel that exposing the wall can be done DIY. But there's a mix of opinion out there on two key issues about whether it should be done at all.

1. Whether to seal the stone to prevent it from crumbling to dust all over our kitchen counters.

2. Whether removing the plaster encourages dampness.

So what's the general wisdom say?

Any suggestions of reference material I could turn to (e.g. DIY books?)

Thanks and regards,

Mike

DIY books?  DIY books?  Don't you trust us Mike?

The Leroy Merlin site has lots of interesting bits on if you understand French.  www.leroymerlin.fr

Anyway, I doubt if the actual stone will crumble into your dinner, it will just be dusty and hard to clean.  Not easy to dust a jagged stone wall.

As regards to the wall breathing, cement will not let the wall breathe.  All the water will be trapped inside.  If you have any, that is.  So no render/plaster lets the water evaporate.  Unless it is lime based. 

The joints are easy to do but can be laboriously time consuming.

Have exposed stone pointed with lime/sand mix in kitchen and they look fine. Have to say there is a little dust on floor occasionally which is hoovered (walls are sometimes hoovered (gently) also!!). Have exposed stone elsewhere in house and also plaster boarded and part tiled walls (kitchen cupboards are on these). I really like mix of old and new (have painted some beams to brighten up rooms and we are using galvanised zinc and deep red marble internally (as seen in Art et Decoration but a cheaper version!).

However, we are covering one wall in huge barn/sitting room with lime/water mix - slapping it on by hand and then giving it lime wash. Too huge to point. It's rendered/crepied on external side so we heeded advice from this forum (and Mike Wye www.mikewye.co.uk) about breathability.

Am happy with all walls but IMO too many exposed stone walls can look very dismal especially if they have been pointed with a grey mix (cement!!!?) like some I've seen. Ours (charentais stone) are done with lime and local fine sand giving honey coloured pointing .