Chainsaw safety

Chris Head

Following on from the cls scant posts below......

There must be alot of people moving to a rural environment and finding themselves in need of a chainsaw.

The protective equipment is as important as the saw itself, head, eyes, ears, feet and legs need to be properly protected, take proper advice and buy the best money can buy. I'm a pro saw user and would never even entertain starting a chainsaw without being protected, to do so is seriously silly.

Saws don't cut like knives, they rake flesh out at up to 25 metres per second (difficult to stitch) and smash bone. A fraction of a second and you've got an arterial bleed and then just a few moments.....

As for the saws, the small Stihls are excellent, light and powerful and reliable (if serviced), the small Husqvarnas are not worth buying, heavier and the vibration levels are unnacceptable. Echo is up and coming, they have some excellent machines but in the top end of the range.

Find someone who will show you how to go through basic maintenance and sharpening procedures, it wouldn't hurt to know basic crosscutting techniques either.

Buy locally, it's alot easier to take a saw to your dealer here than it will be to return it to the UK, and you'll be helping local business.

Oh....and leave the egos in the closet, testosterone and chainsaws don't mix too well!

Any help I can give, please ask, or if you're anywhere near (Limousin, Creuse) then pop over.

Salut, Chris

Bravo Chris

I support, endorse and absolutely agree with every word.

I too am a professional saw user and like him I wear head,eye,ear,hands,leg and foot protection, every time I pick up the saw.

I've seen many guys and some girls who are 'too tough' to wear the gear and have serious injuries from saws which took the flesh. The smaller the saw the more dangerous it is. The lighter one will kick faster than a bigger one - so don't be fooled that just because you own a little DIY job that its less of a threat than a big professional saw... in reality its the opposite. And the older adn smaller/cheaper saws usually have either no chain break or one in bad repair. (nasty).

Every day now as I drive around I see folk cutting with no protection, and whilst I would not wish a chain cut on anyone, in that case, I would have no sympathy if it did.

Andrew

(nice one chris)

are Stihl bits easy to get in France? I've just stocked up on bits before moving just in case!

I also had several hours instruction in maintenance (and usage) - invaluable.

I heartily agree with the comments about safety - and the worst offenders round here are the local farmers who take their saws up ladders to cut down trees with no protection at all

One point often made is never lend your saw to anyone (in fact I've heard that it's preferable to lend your wife before your chainsaw! Glad the saw's mine and not his )

I always wear specifically designed gloves and helmet but rarely put on my boots or trousers and never (well, once) the jacket as they are so heavy I can hardly walk in them, never mind work. I sometimes wear gaiters which are not heavy but don't stay put either, I put them on when I'm using the saw nearer to my feet than I would choose.

I have a Dolmar, recommended to me by professionals and very reliable, as well as a small Stihl which feels like it was made for me.

Stihl parts are widely available locally (24/87/19).

I've met people whose lives have been saved by safety equipment but I'm the only person who has any in my locality, and I can't think of many homes without a chainsaw.

Hints on sharpening would be gratefully received; I have been shown many times and go through the motions but ineffectively. There is a lot of information on Oregon's site.

Yes Chris totaly agree as a time served tradesman myself I cringe at some of the d.i.y antics. No need for axle stands only changing the oil. aw 240 volts won`t kill if you got rubber boots on, safety glasses when grinding .

I really do not think the wife would let me loose with a chain saw with out the kit after her brothers best mate who was a tree surgeon by the way slipped and his head hit the ground while he was still standing  but true  

dave

Hi

Also try to cut big beams with a v or you will get the saw stuck and if your up in the air and the only option is wacking the beam with a axe make sure you know which way the beam is going to fall.......

And hopefully you will not fall off the scaffold,like me...

Sorry not a laughing matter!!!!!

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY !!!!!

Mick

BTW I caught my chain-saw on the way down...

Heartily agree, only a casual user but bought the full package of the saw....trousers, boots, helmet/ear defenders/face guard and gloves. Wear it all rain or shine. I quite like the blood being inside my body.

Same goes for all the other power tools 'we' use daily.

Think on and get to grow old!

Hi,

hubby Patrick says he totally agrees.  He was a chainsaw instructor and is HORRIFIED at the number of professionals over here who operate with NO safety gear whatsoever, often using saws designed for use UP trees, on the ground.  Do they think they are immortal or what?  Like the riders who don't think they can EVER fall off so do not need hard hats.  Very unsafe practise.  Saw usage is a personal preference, but DO get instruction on use and maintenance and safety gear - a chain not properly sharpened is a DANGER.  Personal first aid kit attached to your belt, including a VERY large wound dressing (ie big sanitary towel) squash balls and bandages for use as a tourniquet, (used to work in deep forest in days before mobile phones).

Incidentally - he swears by HUSQVARNAs, and thinks they are great - he has three.  Used to ride a motocross Huskie too - ex works.

Fil

• 2 weeks later...
Just to add my two pennorth to this discussion.

Regardless of how much your French neigbours snigger wear the gear. They may feel invulnerable in shorts and a tee shirt but it don't work for me.

It is well worth re-stating that any Personal Protective Clothing (HSE term not mine) should not be the prime method of keeping yourself safe. Basic training is very important.

Chainsaws seem to put the wind up lots of people but what about other lethal weapons such as 9" circular saws? All power tools have the ability to injure and frequently do.

Regards

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

I always wear specifically designed gloves and helmet but rarely put on my boots or trousers and never (well, once) the jacket as they are so heavy I can hardly walk in them, never mind work. I sometimes wear gaiters which are not heavy but don't stay put either, I put them on when I'm using the saw nearer to my feet than I would choose.

Do be careful Pucette. I haven't bought a chainsaw yet although I intend to. A friend who uses chainsaws all the time came and gave me some safety and maintenance training. He recommended the minimum of safety gear he would consider is boots (or some kind of covering for the feet), trousers or the straps at the back half trouser things, face visor and ear defenders. Gloves and jacket great but not the highest priority if you handle the machine right. He had cut marks on his trousers and boots and would have had nasty injuries if he hadn't been wearing them. I would seriously consider covering your legs and feet.