Plaster?

Adr

Could someone tell me the French word for plaster. I am looking for plaster/render for an external wall - not the grey concrete coloured stuff but the smooth white type.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Excuse me, but plaster is actually plâtre. There is no proper French term of 'plaitre'... just so you know, Plato.

Adr- Where abouts are you located? What weather conditions will the wall in question be experiencing? Depending on your loaction, the render will be a combination of some or all of cement, lime and sand.

Kind regards.

Thank you for your replies.

The wall in question surrounds a courtyard, part of which is roofed and part not. It is located to the rear of a house in Pezenas. It is open to the elements but protected by the rear wall and so does not suffer too much from the weather.

I think that what I am looking for is a white cement render. Is this something that has to be made up or can it be bought pre-mixed and, if so, is there a word for it.

Thanks for your help.

Adr

Crepi, the material very often used, seems to get a very bad press on this site. Yet it can easily be coloured - so that it doesn't need painting, it allows the substructure' to breath, it repels moisture, it can be trowelled or more often sprayed, and it is very difficult to take off - so it withstands great climatic variations.

[quote]Crepi, the material very often used, seems to get a very bad press on this site. Yet it can easily be coloured - so that it doesn't need painting, it allows the substructure' to breath, it repels mois...[/quote]

What's wrong with Crepi then?  It can be applied in different colours and textures. 

We only painted on top of new crepi as we could not get the two parts of the house to match and it was cheaper to paint the whole lot rather than strip the old render off and get the whole lot done again.

[quote]Thank you for your replies. The wall in question surrounds a courtyard, part of which is roofed and part not. It is located to the rear of a house in Pezenas. It is open to the elements but protected...[/quote]

Hi,

You certainly don't want to use plaster externally, if it ever gets wet, it starts to "rot". As you thought, you need to render with white cement. Have you ever tried rendering? All my attempts have ended up looking more like an angry sea surface than a flat wall!

As for ready mix. There's a product called Parex which should be perfect it's available in many colours including white and can be used to waterproof walls as well.

http://www.parexlanko.com 

is the company website. Good luck.

We used the stuff to fill joints between stones on an outside wall, but you can't use it on _both_ sides of the wall as it would prevent breathing.