Gravel !

Dc

I need to buy some coloured gravel for the garden and drive, about 10 cubic metres. Does anybody know any approximate costs and any suppliers. I'm in Dept 17 but any info would be greatly appreciated.

regards

dc

[quote]Hi - I'm up in 50 so can't help with a supplier, but have just ordered 4m3 (about 6.5 tonnes, apparently) of 'gravier bleu' at a cost of 33€ + TVA/M3 with a delivery charge of 10€ Regards Chris[/quote]

hello there chris!

just about to begin looking for gravel, have about 100m plus of path way around house and pond that I have almost finished digging out!

Can you tell me, what is gravier bleu? Do you know how to measure up for cubic mtres or tons?  I have only ever had either pea gravel, or 'half and half' as they called it in the uk which is slightly bigger but still has some 'pea gravel' mixed in, not what we want for the paths here. Any advice greatly accepted.

Regards,

Bob

If you are using loose gravel, pea shingle etc please, please put down a good liner first.

A fair proportion of my time as a professional gardener is spent weeding and spraying unlined paths and driveways.

Not sure about "gravier bleu", but we've just been quoted €28.30 for some pale grey stuff for paths, delivery free, in the Haute Vienne, near Rochechouart.

As far as calculations are concerned, you'll need to know what sort of depth you want it to be laid to, then have a rough idea of the AREA in sq m you want to cover.

Finally, multiply the two, remembering that 10 cm depth of gravel is 0.1m, so, for example, if you needed to cover 12 sq m of path at a depth of 0.1m, you'd need 12x0.1 cubic metres of gravel, or 1.2 cu m.

Finally, try to work in cu m, not tonnes, it's delivered AFAIK, always in cu m.

Oh...........the only way to choose which sort to have really, is to find where it's coming from and go and look. Mine will be from a builder's merchants that I know well, about 10 miles from my property.

Alcazar

Oh...........the only way to choose which sort to have really, is to find where it's coming from and go and look. Mine will be from a builder's merchants that I know well, about 10 miles from my property.

Exactly.........................I went to the builders merchants and had a look at all the options, then chose the closest to what we have down at the moment. There didn't seem to be a huge difference in price between any of them. I suspect that the 'Gravier blue' is probably the same as Alcazar's pale grey stuff - it is bigger than pea shingle and not as smooth - I wanted grey/blue to match the slate roof on the house!!

Chris

Not much help for 17 but in 50 (Manche) a good source of "cailloux gris" is the Carriere de Fut, the quarry just off the main Coutances / St Lo road. Note that this sort of stuff is sold by the cubic metre and size of the bits in millimetres. Typical courtyard stuff is 6-9mm

Jim