Electronic hard water descalers

Chardie

Has anyone used an electronic hard water descaler device ?(The ones that fit to the incoming coldwater pipe). If so do they work and can anyone recommend a particular make ? - I can't seem to find any unbiased info on the internet.  (Search engine on this forum is not coming up with anything.)

I am not sure if this is the same thing but there is one in the Brico Depot catalogue at 589 Euros (Adouciseur Volumetrique Electonique 18l) which bears a resemblance to one we used to have in the UK. The one we had was completely automatic, just put in the salt and away it goes. It was absolutely wonderful and I wouldn't have been without it. I know that they sell them also in Leroy Merlin and probably Castorama and the salesmen are usually pretty knowledgeable. I would also try a a proper builders/plumbers merchant. They may have leaflets from the manufacturer.

Not something they sell much round here.

Liz (29)

Or did you mean the small (non-salt) device that attaches directly to the incoming water pipe, that relies on magnetism to make the calcium less adherent and reduce limescale?

There is a lot of mixed opinion as to whether these actually do "what they say on the box" on not, but as they are relatively cheap I thought I'd try one anyway.

I bought mine about 10 months ago, and although I wouldn't say it has completely eliminated the hard water problem (and here in the Lot, the water is about as hard as it gets) it does seem to make a difference. Whereas before the water was very hard, with an awful lot of limescale building up very quickly on taps/kettle etc, now it is just moderately hard.

I still use the Calgon type tablets in the washing machine, in a kind of belt-and-braces approach though

Unfortunately I can't tell you the make of the device I use, as it's tucked behind the washing machine and freezer in the cave, but I think it cost around 80 euros.

Hope this helps

I am just about to purchase one from the UK , the company is 'Scalewatcher'. They will post to France and the one that I am interested in is about £250. Try their site , it may give you an insight of the product. I too live in the 'Lot' and thought it would be worth a try with the hard water hereabouts.

I looked at a system from Germany and it was very expensive I thing one unit was around €1200. In addition if you have a pumped system to have instant hot water without waiting you have to have an additional smaller unit for around €800.

I said I would pass.