French domestic wiring book

ntc

Having looked in the past I've not managed to find any books in English. However the french ones have lots of diagrams which if you are an electrician are easy to follow. These are the ones I use when doing electrics on our house. L'installation electrique by Thierry Gallauziaux and David Fedullo and Installer un Tableau Electrique by the same people. Available from Castorama or Amazon.  

hi

I do not speak a word of french and sent for the book above after 3-4 days with a french-english dic you will be able to follow the french system it is better than ring mains for safety , say i do not speak a word of french i have learnt more in 10 weeks than I did in 5 years in school it will come

dave

Not certain how you rate a radial circuit safer than a ring main where the csa of the cable is 2 x 2.5 mm and backed by a 30 amp mcb

the ring allows for connection to the earth to be fed twice thereby covering the potential of a broken earth wire allowing there still to be a connection to earth

Every appliance is fused down on a ring so you do not have a 2 amp table lamp governed by a 16 amp MCB

I always advise any one that puts in a radial to run a second earth wire to the furthest socketas well as the interconnecting ones

This is a standard in the UK

Bottom line is call in a qualified electrician to carry out the work

why are newbies always trying to slag people off , someone makes a post for help and the NEWBIES jump in with " you need an expert for that " we are in France not the U.K. so help the lad not slag him ,we are all here in the same boat.

question if one wire on a ring main is fitted incorrectly how many amps could be travelling down one 2.5mm cable with a 32amp trip , answer it could set the cable on fire , this must be why the uk is adopting radial circuits for future wiring.

Dave

As the Which? (Consumers Association) guide to UK house wiring (by Mike Lawrence) says, the skill required is less than that required to wallpaper a wall. And a doddle compared with plastering! Of course the stuff's dangerous, but so is climbing a ladder, which (or rather falling off) apparently kills more people than DIY electricity accidents.

The secret is knowledge and respect. Read up on it, be sure to follow the procedure carefully, check it and check it again. And if you are still in any doubt about your ability, yes call in an expert.

I too have been looking for a guide to French wiring in English but will now try the recommended French texts-with-dictionary approach. Frankly, however, the principles must be similar to UK, even if practices (radial circuits and the protective conduits) differ slightly as we are using same power to all intents and purposes. Check though that earth to your house is supplied by EDF and that you don't have to rely on your own earthing rod(s). Also check that metal items in house are cross-bonded to earth - lot of French property (and UK come to that) seem to skimp on this vital precaution. 

heed the last statment , there are no earth supplies in France you have to make your own, you can skimp on anything else ( if you have wired it up somewhere near ) but do  do put in a proper earth ,and as some one said on another posting put in an extra one on the last socket good idea will use that one my self

adve

new idea faulty twats, or was it flowerey oh give up

Reckon more people use ladders than do DIY electrics

great thing stats you can bend them to suit

And would not want a paper hanger to wire up my 3 phase control panels or factory or toilet come to that

The correct way to ascertain earth requirment is to do a loop impedance test if there is no earth supplied (as tends to be in country )

The reading will determine RCB required and you will need to put stake in ground for the RCB earth block

And then carry out continuity tests and resistance readings for all cables

you need to find a friendly Elect engineer