connecting to main drains

Anthony Rowland

We have just received a quote to connect our house in Normandy to the main drains which run past our house, the man hole being approx 4ft from our land. The estimate was for 968 euros. Does anyone know if we are able to obtain a grant to help with these costs or where we could obtain advice from regarding this. Thanks.

Normally the Mairie appoints a contractor who will bring the drains to the edge of your property , it then your respomsibility to arrange for any work within your property, ie into the house. About 1000 euros would be not be untypical charge for connecting to the mains.

the council clearly need to control who is doing work on their infrastructure, and on their land. But the bill is usually issued paid to the council, not to the contractor. It is sometimes a fixed levy (forfait).

Our drains are next to our gate but not connected as yet the last owners did not bother.  The drain is nice and clean being new and only serves us with a branch going down to the main sewers.  I have  dug a channell through the solid rock to the drain and wondered if I could connect it myself it looks easy enough   and I dont fancy paying someone lots of money to stick a pipe in a hole in the side of the drain   I dont suppose anyone has done this ,if so how did you go on?   cheers

I went to the Marie last month to enquire about the town drainage programme as we live on the edge of a town, and have a fosse septique. Unfortunately I got the new secretary and she didn't understand what I was asking. (My french probably didn't help). Before we go again next month I would like to email the marie first - I do get responses from my other enquiries! Please could someone suggest how I ask whether there is mains drainage i can connect to, and if not when it may be available?

Thanks very much!!

"Our drains are next to our gate but not connected as yet the last owners did not bother"

I don't see any reason why you can't do it yourself, we have planning permission for a new property and although we must have it connected to the main drains there is no requirement for who carries out the work, i can engage any contractor i wish, or I presume if I wanted to do it myself then why not? if the pipe-work and connection meet regulations, we have not been asked to undergo an inspection after completion.

I attended a meeting at our commune with the bureau des etudes about the collective sewerage system. The representative from the bureau des etudes said the cost for the contractors to do it would be about 600-800 EUR, but usually someone "handy" from the village hires some equipement and does it for much less. I think they said it had to be inspected (but am not sure!)