Pointing stonework.

Anthony Rowland

The mix they use around here (Vendee) is 1 Chaux (Lime) to 3 sand. Wet the stonework thoroughly and then, using a medium stiff mix, literally throw the mortar at the wall covering it completely. Float it off with a trowel to remove the excess and leave to dry for a day or so then attack it with a stiff brush (available at all builders merchants in the plastering section) and take it back to reveal the stone leaving the joints filled. Best of all, all ther stuff you scrub off can be just chucked back in the mixer and used again! After a few weeks you can take a power washer to the stonework to remove the lime residue or just let nature take its course and you will have lovely looking natural and breathable wall.

There's as many different mixes as you want,  it's largely a matter of choice of finish, normally when I am doing it for someone I try to find a bit of wall that won't be visible later and give them 4 or 5 different "test" areas to choose from based on what they have already said.

For outside it is reasonable to use 3 sand, 1 lime and a dash of white cement to give it a bit more strength. For inside or outside to keep it simple you can use 3 sand and 1 Tradifarge.

Then you have a choice of sand, anything from 0 sandblasting sand ( very fine ) white sand or river sand or regular sand, which tends to look a bit coarse and dirty but OK in some situations.

There are also several ready mixed brands available in sacks with different colours but a bit of an expensive way of doing large areas.

I have a bad feeling that I've complicated the issue, Chris

hi

every area seem to have their own rules ,or likes and dislikes, here in 79 they like their multi- bat mixed @ 3.5 - 1.

it`s a pre mix of lime and cement, i use this for everthing except concrete

dave     

Hi, I'm in dept. 53 Mayenne (between Renees and Nantes), asked my local macon for their mix ..

4 sand / 2 lime / 1 white cement

however, I found this a bit too smooth for my liking and have adjusted to:

4 sand / 1.5 lime / 1 white cement

Bear in mind the different types of sand too, as some is much coarser and try to be consistent with where you buy it from. I use Batidol lime.

Steph

www.pwb53.com

hi

if you want to be a pure-ist try this site.....

http://www.stastier.co.uk/

just make sure every coat is weaker than the previous one.

this is from another site , Quote  " un less you use 25% cement it`s not worth useing  any "

hope this helps

dave

• 5 weeks later...

its a simple mix of 3-1 of straightforward builer's sand to chaux... and frankly, thats all you need to know.... there is no great magical secret or rocket science to pointing... mix it reasonably firm... ie not sloppy - bucket mixing is easiest (9-3 or 12-4), pop the mix in - off a larger trowel onto a smaller one, wire brush it through as its drying out or when its dried and... sorted... easy and incredibly satisfying.... wise to give the stone and old mortar a bit of a spalsh before if youre doing it in hot weather but... thats really all there is to it.

neil (24)

and... before any purists suggest this or that or the next thing... really, the above formula is all you need.... i've done enough walls - inside and out - on various properties here!