DDE

Ysatis

So then his name would be spelled T,J,A,W rather than S,U,P,E,R,M,A,N?

He can stand up as much as he likes for the American Way, but I have to say that truth and justice are two words that have been bandied about rather too frequently here over the last few days. Or is that George Bush Superman you are refering to rather than Clark Kent Superman?

The Sunshine Superman. Clark Kent (and Clarkkent) has always denied being Superman, but I think the reinforced glasses (to cope with the X-Ray vision) are a giveaway.

Sunshine came softly to my window today.

Could have tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways.

Superman or Green Lantern ain't got, nothin' on me.

I can make like a turtle and dive for pearls in the sea

You can just sit there thinkin', on your velvet throne

About all the rainbows you can have for your own.

I'll tell you right now...

I'll pick up your hand and slowly, blow your little mind.

(No, stop, it's against the rules...)

How about I change my ID to Lois Lane?

As with many things, France or elsewhere, I think a lot depends on one's approach. Probably shouldn't but it does. We've had two trips to the DDE (in St Hilaire-du-H, Will) and the staff there have been really helpful on both occasions to the extent of, having given us the relevant forms, writing out on post-its exactly what we should fill in - the best wording to use. In both cases, permissions were granted. So good luck with your discussions, Liz.

What did seem to irritate one person we saw was the amount of work caused by British people who did things without permission. "I know things are much easier for you in England", she said, "but this is France."

We did explain to her, in some detail, that things were absolutely no different in England, more difficult if anything, and she shouldn't believe all she'd been told... [6]

Can that be because things have become so muddled in the UK, catalpa, that people are so used with getting away with murder, that they think they can adopt the same blase attitude in France?

Quite a few years ago since I brought to the local councils attention the fact that developers - and the council! - had moved a public right of way for the developer's benefit, which caused great inconvenience to the public, danger and was likely to become a haven for louts (which it has). No one was at all interested.

In fact they then tried -unsuccessfully - to attack me on a planning matter: all driven by a bent local councillor who was involved with many developers who went away as a guest of her majesty.

Now, I just wouldn't bother, since it is even worse.

Last year I had caused something that made the DDE “pay me a visit”.  Actually it was because a line of my trees had grown and were now over the road.  I’d been warned but one day I saw the DDE man stop, get out, have a look and drive off so I waited for “the letter”.  Instead of a letter, he came back with somebody else.  He explained the problem, explained that the person with him was a private contractor ho I may (or may not) want to ask for a quote to do the wok.  No obligation, but I had to cut the trees back and this guy could do it.  I thought this was exceptionally helpful.

Other guy’s quote was somewhat OTT, so I got somebody (legal) I knew to do it (proper invoice, the lot).  As the work was cutting branches over the road, they decided to borrow some warning signs from the DDE.   On hearing this, DDE manager arrived, said where to put the signs and asked another DDE employee to hang around and help for the afternoon.

I guess as with all things in life, different people are different – some will bend over backwards to help and others might be a bit more officious.  My only DDE experience was that they were very helpful.

Ian

[quote user="catalpa"]

As with many things, France or elsewhere, I think a lot depends on one's approach. Probably shouldn't but it does. We've had two trips to the DDE (in St Hilaire-du-H, Will) and the staff there have been really helpful on both occasions to the extent of, having given us the relevant forms, writing out on post-its exactly what we should fill in - the best wording to use. In both cases, permissions were granted. So good luck with your discussions, Liz.

[/quote]

Agree totally about helpfulness of local DDE (in Lacapelle Marival - where that Ed ?). I would always recommend a DDE visit rather than the Mairie about planning matters but others say differently.

John

not

Sorry John - have to disagree about visiting the DDE rather than Mairie, especially if you live in a small commune. I thinks it's best to introduce yourself to the Maire (if possible) and sound him out with your planned renovation/conversion etc. It's good manners. Ask his opinion and try to get him/her onside as he/she has ultimate power to over-ride the decision of the DDE.

We did that and got the forms etc from the Mairie, then went along to the DDE who were a great help. They showed us how to complete the form what, drawings and photographs were needed etc, then we took it all to the Mairie in quadruplet, waited two months and hey presto, plans passed.

Obviously if you employ an architect (habitable space over 170 sq mtrs), you don't need contact with the DDE (architect can do that) but still a good idea to talk to the Maire.

Yes, for the same reasons, even knowing something would be a DDE decision, I'd advise going to the Mairie first. Ours is a small village and the Maire is very involved with the community and always tries to be helpful, so as a courtesy I'd visit him first. I'm not sure he can override a DDE decision? but there is certainly the matter of the little box that the Maire ticks on some (all?) DDE forms which indicates he has no objections to whatever is being planned. That tick is a good thing and to be encouraged. [:)]

Strangely enough our only direct experience of DDE has been for the same reason as Deimos's. Though in our case it was the maire who first noticed the potential problem and he called in the DDE (note to Catalpa - this was a different department, in Avranches, rather than St Hilaire) and the DDE man was helpfulness personified, though I suspect he could have been different had we displayed a different attitude.

On the other hand, we have helped several people fill in forms for planning matters and they have reported that as soon as they pass from the mairie to DDE things get a lot more awkward - I would not be at all surprised if that is as a result of too many British projects being done without permission, or exceeding the scope of the permission.

I also know of people building a house in the area served by the DDE office that Catalpa mentioned; all sorts of problems with the particular official dealing with their request, until miraculously they had to see somebody else because the usual person was away - and everything was sorted instantly and amicably. Again not an unusual occurrence in France.

So I guess it usually works OK but all comes down to a combination of luck (in who you deal with) and your own willingness to be cooperative.