Sand Blasting Oak Beams

UlsterRugby1999

I need to get approx 30 beams cleaned. Over the many years they have become a horrible blackish colour and I need to get them back to their natural state.

I have heard of the sand blasting process but have no experience of it. Is it difficult? Can I hire the equipment to do this job easily? Is there a better way?

Cheers all - Paul

we (well say we ...was the missus really) have just cleaned up our wooden beams as they were covered with a false cealing (polyester tiles). we considered sand blasting but decided agaist it and instead all we did was set to the beams with a electric wood planer and shaved of a couple off mm's, hey presto nice clean wood again....of course you can only do this som any times before your beams become match sticks....

An absolute nightmare of a job, needs two people, one to use the blaster and one to fill it and clean up, be prepared to have sand throughout the house for a couple of months after, for the filler a sore back and if he/ sh is cleaning up at the same time as the blasting to have any exposed skin slightly sanded as well. If its a humid day it wont work properly because the sand gets clogged in the drum (although it could have been that the equipment  was too old and a little knackered) so has to be emptied and cleaned out properly. As I said, nightmare, hellish and expensive. On the up side, once it was done, and the ton of sant was out of the house the beams looked fantastic!

Alternative, get a 4" grinder with a brush disk on it and try, as noisy, makes a mess too, and gives the shoulders a decent work out, but way cheaper and can get the beams to look just as good.

If the place is a shell, then sandblast away.

The finish will depend on the type and grade of grit you use: not normally sand, per se, all depends on the job.

Might be worth obtaining a professional quote. The equipment is quite expensive; big mobile compressor and professional standard sandblasting gun/s.

The smaller handheld type are fine for "Spot" blasting, but not much use for larger areas. The best kit consists of a large pot to hold the medium.

If you do undertake the job, remember to wear adequate protective clothing: and above all else, a proper and suitable respirator. The best types use positive air pressure (bled from the compressor) to exclude any dust. Also ensure that where using an IC engine rather than electricity for the compressor, it is critical to ensure that the compressor air intake is well away from the engine exhaust, or you'll be breathing a nice cocktail of noxious fumes which will include CO and CO2: not good for people!

Good luck.

Is it just me or is there anyone else that doesn't like the look of fresh clean beams or stone for that matter?  I love it when they are a bit black and decrepit, it looks all the more authentic to me. [8-)]

Went over at Easter to do this job (and others). Rented a big compressor (trailer) and blaster complete with crash helmet and other protective gear.

We had about 18 beams to do, used 10 x 35 Kg of white sandblasting sand and a seive to re-use it. The sand was €5 a bag, the blaster/compressor etc was about €170 for a day.

We picked the kit up at 16:00 and took it back at 9:15 two days later and were just charged for the day. It was jolly hard work for two people but the we did start early and work late both days to get it done.

It was very damp over easter and we did get a few problems with 'clogging', however getting a fire going in the fireplace sorted that issue out.By the end the sand had turned to dust but was still cleaning. Our black beams are now a really great golden colour but still need a bit of work to tidy them up. Some are looking a lot thinner than they were too !

Compared to others in our area who have spent weeks cleaning fewer beams by various methods we thought it was well worth the expense and mess. We also had a shell of a place so the mess didn't matter, apart from the cleaning up afterwards, the sand really does get everywhere.

Cheers

Just to add a bit more...

We sand blasted all our beams and yes, the bloody sand got everywhere - but the result was amazing. From being black (and making the room seem dark) to being a nice golden colour, followed by a generous coating of linseed oil. Really nice now. Beware though, it does expose any woodworm you may have leaving beams chipped a ragged looking.

The barrow loads of black sand we swept up, and used it to line the hole we'd dug for our garden pond. Waste not want not!