Old wall paint

tarnaddict

We have a 200 yr old house in the Tarn.  All rooms had lovely vinyl wallpaper on them!  Underneath this in one room is a caramel coloured paint (patchy) under which is a pale blue powdery 'distemper'.  Does any one have any experience on the best way to stabilise this surface prior to re-wallpapering.  Can it be stabilised with weak wallpaper paste solution or should it be removed, if so how?

Many thanks

Tarn Addict

Hi

As you suggest, walllpaper paste has always been used to prime before papering, you could use a solution of PVA also, if you make sure to scrape back flaking areas, fill and sand where neccessary you will be ok.

regards

We have the same problem to deal with but beware as i think if the paint is old it may be lead based. I havent found an answer yet so have left things well alone...no doubt someone will know the correct way

if a wall paint most likely lime based and not a lead paint.These need tobe removed completely otherwise the modern emulsions are very strong and the old paint weak resulting in loss of adhesion completely to the wall.and then you have to start again.!!!

whitelead normally in use on wood and  red lead on metal in later years.

The old accepted method of dealing with Distemper and/or Whitewash, was to take off flaking areas and loose material and then seal the surface with size, made from bead glue and hot water. A nasty and sticky job!

Many years since I had to deal with this: last time  in 1972, with a house bought from a retired naval commander, who obviously wanted his house to look like Plymouth naval station!

The walls were painted in dreadful light green distemper: and then varnished over the top!

Rubbed down well and then sized and this provided a good surface and an excellent bond for lining paper and emulsion.

Nasty job: bonne courage, mon brave!