Not a good time to buy...?

We made wills in our twenties. Being young doesn't mean you have to be stupid about the important things in life and death. Ours were made when we bought a house, before that there was nothing to 'leave' to anyone.

Anyone with anything to leave or with children should get their affairs sorted out. There is no reason why they shouldn't, I suppose you could be like my MIL who wouldn't, as she said that she would die......... well, won't we all..........and what an unforgiveable mess she has left us with.

I like the choice aspect we had in the UK. I don't like the government deciding for us in France.

This thread has been hi-jacked but never mind!

>Agree with Mr L, if you wait for the 'best' moment to buy, you could wait forever. The friend I mentioned above has lived in Paris for 10 years and seen prices go up by over 50% in the areas he likes. If they fall now by 20%, that still means an increase of 30% plus the rent he has paid over that time.  Over the last couple of years, he has realised that waiting for the best moment to buy has cost him a small fortune. 

Agreed that it's very hard to call "the top" - I havn't been in a position to buy before this year so all I can make is a judgement call at the moment by looking at the mass of facts around and judging the general sentiment.

We will see if I was right in a year or two!

-Rob-

The thread has got a little diverted, but we are getting back somewhere near it. If you want to move , and sit around waiting for the exact right time you will never go. There is no "right" time per say,  sort out your money look at your budget what do you want to spend on a house ?, how much do you want to keep back for fallback money/investment ?  then go and look what that will buy you and either go for it or not.

The English seem to view a house as an investment opportunity whereas others see it as a home. The problem for the former is a question of when whereas the latter has the problem of which/where. Remember that there will rarely be a right time to do something only, with the genius of hindsight, a wrong one.

John

not

[quote user="pugwash"]...if you still have £10 left when you go, that's bad planning ! serves you right [:P] [:D][/quote]On the contrary, sounds like excellent planning to me. I've always said that I plan to put my last tenner over the counter of the local pub and die drinking it away ! [:D]

Edit:

Hi Di BTW, hope your snow has finally gone.