Matt

How accurate do you want to be?

The 'crude & dirty' way is, I believe, 5 cu m / kw but its more

cost effective to do the maths and work out the heat transfer

(leakeage) through the fabric of the walls + ceiling + floor. This

involves knowing the 'U' value of each surface, the temperature you

actually want to achieve, the assumed minimum outside (usually -1 deg

C), the area of each surface. Its not particularly difficult, just a

bit of research, measurement and number crunching.

Its a bit late at night to go into more detail, plus typing and

bacardi/coke dont really go together. Google search under Central

Heating Design will give you a feel for the type of calcs needed for

any particular room.

Regards

I actually selected mine on the basis of “cosmetics” and the space it needed to “fill” (i.e. not look too small and not too large.  It is actually significantly “over specd” for the room volume but I felt I could always turn the level down.  In fact its ideal being too powerful (I don’t get too hot either).

(The manufacturer specification for mine says up to a 300 cu m room and my room is less that half that size).

Ian

Couldn't agree more, Tres!

The lounge is 7.6M X 4.6M. At present, whilst we do have electric "Central Heating" as well as the wood burner, the electric heating is very poor and very expensive![:@]

So, the next job this year, is oil-fired Chauffage Centrale.

The poele is great for siting round and watching the flames with a glass of red stuff: but it does mean one end of the room becomes stiffling: and the other is still chilly.

Also have a Deville diesel heater: messy and expensive. Can eat up to ten litres a day (ouch![:(]) in really cold weather. Central heating will be cheaper and much better at evenly distributing the heat all around the house (which is 27 M long).

And then for the Greniere..............................

We were looking into this a couple of months ago. If you have a look at the thread in this section on ' page 10 of 96' at the top of the page is a question by Bannon- "wood Burners ... again " 8/3/2006 17.06 pm. Quite a few people had useful input that might help you. Our added note to it was in short :

To calculate how many Kw of heat a room needs is Kw = H x W x D and divide by 14 (so this is the Height X Width X Depth of your room, basically its volume), and then if you wanted to work out how many BTU's this is .... :  BTU'S = H x W x D divide by 14, and then multiply by 3400.  This is what we were told by a local installer of woodburning stoves, but I have read other threads which say that you need to take into account what materials your room is made from as its 'envelope' for holding in all that heat. So you need to think about windows, insulation, walling, ceiling materials etc. I'm not sure how much detail to go into on this one, we were happy with the basics for now, but the options are ther for you to look into if you wish. I'm sorry I don't know much more about this, yet....