Greater than and not greater than symbols

fulcrum

I am trying to decypher the greater than, not greater than, less than, not less than symbols used in tables in "Installation Electrique", page 45.

Can anyone explain the meaning of the text using these symbols. Although I can sort of guess at them. They appear to be different to ones used in programming.

Does anyone know of a reference list that explains their meanings.

Wozza is absolutely correct, think of them as being arrowheads and thicker (greater) at one end than the point.

Also if there is a second parrallel line next to one part of the arrow symbol (which I cannot illustrate with my keyboard) then they are the mathematical symbols for "greater than or equal to" or "less than or equal to".

I read them as I was taught at school:

<5 means inferior to/smaller than 5

>5 means superior to/greater than 5

Wozza' example is slightly misleading in that the sign always preceeds the number (as above) and is read "greater than..." or smaller than..."

I think the original poster was saying that the symbols that he was trying to decypher were not the same as the ones used in programming (as everyone has already posted, less than, less than or equal to, equal to, more than, and more than or equal to).

So now I'm interested to see the actual symbols.

Thanks for all the replies but I can't seem to put a picture in my message to give an example. I will try to type what is written in the example I'm refering to. I am well aware of the < and > symbols and also >= or <= as used in programming and Excel spreadsheets. I seem to remember in my distant past that a line under a greater than or less than symbol meant "not" ie; > with a line under meant not greater than. I am wondering if there is a misprint in the text as it doesn't make sense as it is.

The text is about cutting grooves into walls and partitions to allow the embedding of cables. The range of wall thicknesses allowed for certain grooves is where the use of the symbols occurs. For example the text in the table, under the heading "Epaisseur de la paroi finie (mm), is written as the following three examples.

1.    110 < e < 140. The second less than has a line underneath.

2.    65 < e < 100. The second less than has a line underneath

3.   70 < e < 150. The second less than has a line underneath.

They don't make sense as they are written.

The line underneath means less than or equal to; or more than or equal to

so first example e has to be more than 110 (but not 110 itself)  and can be up to 140(including 140)

Does it make sense now?

Not greater than and not smaller than are > and / superimposed (sorry I don't have that one either) or < and / superimposed

Fulcrum

Now you have the answer to your question can you tell me about your book "installation electrique"?

I have been using a small book "Electricity pas a pas" and a few photocopies from the normes but the extract quoted from your book certainly seems more detailed.

I am currently waiting for a Consuel visit to find out at least some of the things that I am ignorant of, would you recommend your book? does it have any sections on supplies and distribution for multiple occupancy (colonnes collectifs) and lastly an ISBN number if you recommend it.

Many thanks

[quote user="J.R."]

Fulcrum

Now you have the answer to your question can you tell me about your book "installation electrique"?

I have been using a small book "Electricity pas a pas" and a few photocopies from the normes but the extract quoted from your book certainly seems more detailed.

I am currently waiting for a Consuel visit to find out at least some of the things that I am ignorant of, would you recommend your book? does it have any sections on supplies and distribution for multiple occupancy (colonnes collectifs) and lastly an ISBN number if you recommend it.

Many thanks

[/quote]

The book is called "LOCAUX D'HABITATION Installation Electrique" ISBN: 2-915673-07-1 and is from PROMOTELEC which is the organisation responsible for advising on electrical installations in France.

I find that although the book may be factual. It does require a lot of reading.

There are better books that I have purchased as follows.

"L'installation Electrique" by Thiery Gallauziaux & David Fedullo. ISBN: 2-212-11431-1

This is an excellent book to get a good overall view of what is required. It has many good diagrams and tables and I would recommend this book as essential reading. This book does have references to the GTL (Gaine Technique de Logement) which is probably what you need with regard to "Collones Collectifs".

"Les evolutions de la norme electrique" by the same authors. ISBN: 2-212-11516-4. It gives a quick reference, by means of clear colour pictures, to standard normes as per NF C 15-100 but I don't think it is essential reading if you have the above book. I bought it as it was reasonably inexpensive and I figured that it would complement the other books.

"Memento de schemas electriques" by the same authors. ISBN: 2-212-11498-2. Is a quick reference, in colour, showing the correct circuit diagrams for each type of circuit. I would say that this book is very usefull as it gives allowable colours for use in lighting circuits.

Hope this helps.

Fulcrum

Thank you very much I will try to buy some of  them.

Last night I reread my "guide pratique - realisation des colonnes electriques" sent to me by EDF last year, it's amzing how much more I can now understand after 8 more months in country and practical electrical work. But despite that I am sure the books will be clearer, the reference books in the UK  certainly are clearer than the I.E.E. 16th edition regs.

Fulcrum

Thank you very much I will try to buy some of  them.

Last night I reread my "guide pratique - realisation des colonnes electriques" sent to me by EDF last year, it's amzing how much more I can now understand after 8 more months in country and practical electrical work. But despite that I am sure the books will be clearer, the reference books in the UK  certainly are clearer than the I.E.E. 16th edition regs.

Edit, this posting did not appear so I am trying again.

Editted again - Now I know the problem, when the new posting takes you onto page 2 of the subject you get redirected to page 1 and think that it hasn't posted