Advice please on architects

Julia01

I am barn hunting in october and am not sure how i go about choosing an architect. Can anyone recommend an english speaking architect , am in Mayenne 53, and also do they charge an initial fee to come and have a look at a barn before you have bought it, as i would like to know if what i plan to do is feasible before i purchase, thanks for any information.

Whoever you find, make sure they are registered inFrance, especially if they are non-french nationals as drawings have to have a french registered architect's stamp on them to be legal. Anyone professional would charge for their time to visit a site especially if it is a way out and will take a while. You should budget a couple of hundred euros at least for this to be safe but you may also find someone willing to do it for free.

Several times I've been presented with 'plans' from French architects....'this is what the architect reccommended'...usually it's been at odds with how the client saw their project. My experience has been that French architects lack imagination and do not really put much effort into interpreting what the client wants, often the language has been a barrier.

Be specific, instruct the architect, he/she is working for you!