Hardwood flooring

Ford Anglia

Hello, this is my first post on here, thankyou for reading it.

Next time we visit our property, we are going to install some hardwood, (chestnut), flooring, then sand it with a hired floor sander, then..................?

And that's where you come in, all you experts who have done this sort of thing before.

What SHOULD we put on our new floor? My wife fancies it a BIT darker than straight chestnut, but what gives a good finish, and looks after the wood? And are there good, and bad stains for the colour required?

If it matters, it's in the upstairs of a house....

Thankyou again.

we laid a chestnut floor, and got some stuff from the supplier that he called 'oil' but is very much like varnish. It does a fantastic job - waterproofing and bringing out the grain.

Whatever you do, don't make the mistake we did, and make sure that you treat the floor BEFORE plastering the walls as the plaster stains the untreated floorboards!

Dick Smith: is it easy to apply? I've not had a great deal of success with Ronseal type stuff, often finding brushmarks............[8-)]

Oh, and when I've applied it to raw wood, it's just raised the grain, then set it hard, leading to it needing sanded again and even after that, I had to apply a coat of wax to get a good finish. That was on teak shelves.

Am I doing something wrong?

got to get my say in.  we do not have hardwood; goodness knows what it is.  it was stained a nasty orange colour and was completely vile.  my husband was against anything with polyurethane.  however, as he wasn't around when i got the job done, his opinion didn't figure much

there is some stuff by i think called v3; it's in all the bricolage outlets.  i used a cheaper one on the bedroom floors and the most expensive in the sitting-room.  the french all seem to know what it is; it's something like vitrificateur

the expensive stuff needed mixing up 1:1.  what you need to do is prep the surfaces very carefully.  rub down, remove fluff, hairs, resin, etc.  clean with white spirit and leave absolutely dust free.  hammer or counter sink all protuding nails, screws, etc

apply the stuff with a brush or roller.  leave for at least 8 hours, preferably 24 hrs.  then rub down, clean with spirit, apply another coat etc until you get the finish you want.

i did 3 coats in the bedrooms and 4 in the sitting-room.  the finish (i chose satin) is fantastic.  impervious to water, etc.  paint spots lift with ease and i have now lost all sniffiness about polyurethane or whatever

life is too short to worry about polishing floors.  give me a damp mop and impeccable looks any time 

Oils properly used give you all a silky smooth finish that just carresses your bare feet as they come into contact with it....lovingly built up and finished, the grain of the wood teased out until it just begs you to walk on it...warm & smooth as silk. OR you could just slap the varnish on.....

Our varnish was onto what had been the floor of a hayloft - oak strips but quite battered (and in one case a hole had been filled with a tin lid, in another a cork rammed in - rustic charm!). It included an ensuite bathroom, and as ours is a holiday home we had to be sure that if the house got cold and a bit damp the surface wouldn't deteriorate. Also, as we are there for relatively short periods, we weren't up for any high-maintenance finishes.

We used colourless Ronseal Diamond Hard varnish, two or three coats over a rough sanding (more or less to clean the surface). It dries very quickly, odour-free and is very hard (amazingly enough it does what it says on the tin). It has been down for several years and just needs a damp sweep every now and then. The nature of the surface meant that worrying about brushmarks was fairly irrelevant!

I have also used it on a new floor, but that was a coloured version, and you need to be careful to keep the coats even and overbrush any darker areas.

So I'm a heathen, but I have a good surface, no maintenance, did the lot in two days. You can get a bit too serious about these things...

Two questions from me:

First, we're only using the better quality pine parquet for our living room and bedroom in our barn extension.  We used the V3 stuff mentioned earlier in our current bedroom and it came up really well.  Does that make us heathens?  Or does using an inferior wood make us beyond the pale anyway?

Sorry, that's already two questions.  Secondly, or thirdly, we've been asked to varnish or oil some internal oak doors for someone.  He's expecting to get ten doors done in very little time.  When we've done our own again inferior softwood doors, with varnish, we've needed to rub down well between coats and have applied two coats.  If we do these oak doors with oil will we need to do more than one coat and will they need rubbing down in between coats?  The place is going to be used as a holiday rental so will the doors be better protected against damage with the oil or varnish?

Oh dear, lots more than two questions there - I should have said, two subjects I suppose[Www]

Pore stopper (I think it's called "bouchage" or "embouchage" - can't remember) is a liquid that blocks the wood pores.  You slap it on with a paintbrush while getting high on the fumes.  Fab job.  By doing this the wood doesn't absorb loads of oil or wax and so you can get away with just one or two coats of your finish instead of having to apply again and again.

Rub down before applying stopper and again lightly afterwards then apply the wax - liquid is easiest and quickest.  "Starwax" is a good brand, or "Syntilor".  Their websites are good, describe their products and what's best for what.

Do you mean sanding sealer? Dunno what it's called in French, but you use it before you French polish, so the French must have a French word for it.

Or as Babelfish would put it:

Is the sealer which it polishes with the sandpaper meant? What which

is called in French Dunno, French you use that glossy before, but

therefore there must be the French for that word in French.