Quick Cleaning of Fire Glass

Dog

I cleaned the glass in the wood burner today in seconds - I added a slug of ammonia to a half pint of warm water. Using an two inch square of scratchy pad the hadened black staining came off like magic!

Much quicker than any other method I have used.

A good idea - and a couple more options.

The spray-on product available in supermarkets for cleaning fire glass is very good too, and you don't usually need a scratchy pad.

Equally effective is aerosol oven cleaner, which is much cheaper than the proper glass cleaner.

For right into the corners and the edges I use an old  glazier's glass scraper that my OH had finished with. I use that Pierre Argent cleaning block that you dampen and you buy in a tub from Mr.Bricolage or LeClerc and it works well getting the black off the glass.

Day after mine was first installed I went out and purchased some special cleaner stuff from the shop as it really gunged the glass.

However, never used it. Moist/wet cloth dipped in some of the ash from the fire seems to get the much off really easily. Gunge comes of easily then wipe o0ff with some kitchen paper. Nice because cheap, readily available, does not "run-out" and most of all no chemicals (hands, etc. all fine).

Ian

EDIT: Sorry, just read the post above and I've repeated it. However, "two out of xx owners agree that ...".

Ian

Can you add my name to the list of folk using damp cloths and white ash.  My parents used chemical bought stuff to clean their glass and yes they work, but they also remove the paint on the woodburners if you're not careful.

I use old rags, dad under the tap, in the ash and cleans the glass beautifully.