Rewiring

redmike

Well, I was always taught at Grammar School whereat I dutifully studied French language for five years - not with much success then I thought, but it did stick, strangely -  that this is because the French language has far fewer words than English for example and uses combinations of words to mean differing things. Same with Spanish, of course.

Having made that comment about the English language, one wouldn't have thought this true, if Jade Baddy is any example! [:D][6]

Something I really enjoy about speaking French is that often you dont need to know a particular word you can just explain your way round what you mean with lots of neat little sentences. Nobody seems to mind that you have gone all round the houses. That sort of contradicts why I was asking my original question I suppose. I thought there might have been a word like 'refilage'. Perhaps I will start using it and see if it catches on!!!

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Well, I was always taught at Grammar School whereat I dutifully studied French language for five years - not with much success then I thought, but it did stick, strangely -  that this is because the French language has far fewer words than English for example and uses combinations of words to mean differing things. Same with Spanish, of course.

Having made that comment about the English language, one wouldn't have thought this true, if Jade Baddy is any example! [:D][6]

[/quote]

Well, it would stick, wouldn't it?

Correct about the number of words - have you looked at the size of a Latin dictionary? Tiny. It's because English is such a good borrower/assimilator/creator of new words, and a national tendency to use nuanced words (ie the difference between a desk and a table, or to rush and to hurry).

As for the delectable and fragrant Jade, she is living proof of the existence of Restricted and Elaborated Codes. Part of her frustration and anger will be due to the fact that she is so inarticulate that she cannot express even the basic ideas she has.