Smelly toilet!

Dc

I have just installed a new toilet in a new bathroom and connected the waste pipe to the fosse. I have noticed a drain smell in the in the toilet bowl and the water is perhaps a little low (not sure with these new style toilets). I have not installed a vent pipe, is this the problem? I don't understand how the smell can get past the water trap. Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

regards

dc

Try filling it GENTLY with water from a jug, bottle etc, and see if the level sits higher than when it's flushed. Don't just teem a bucket full in, or it'll just do the same as a flush.

It SOUNDS as if the power of the flush is syphoning off part of the water that should stay in the bowl, so destroying the seal of the trap, which relies on water level.

You could put a vent pipe in, or an air admittance valve, if it proves to be the case.

Alcazar

• 5 months later...

Can somebody please help. I have installed a new wall suspended toilet and the toilet bowl  smells of the drains. There does not appear to be any gas bubbling up through the water.

I have installed it as follows: The white waste pipe supplied with the toilet is attached to the rear of the toilet at an angle of 45 degrees as it exits sideways towards our fosse. Where the supplied white waste pipe joins the grey soil pipe I have installed an extra pipe with a durgo valve at a point higher than the cistern. The toilet is level as is the supporting frame.

It flushes away beautifully but within a few moments there seems to be a drain smell which gets stronger over a period of time. If it's not coming up through the water then how can it get into the bowl as the flush feed is through a seperate pipe. Can it come throgh the rim?

please help as it's driving me around the twist!!!!!!

regards

dc

That's what I thought too - are you sure the water comes right up the U-bend and makes a complete seal? We had that with some old loos, and also the water seal in a seldom-used washbasin disappears after a long time of non-use and the drain smell comes through.

You beat me to it Russethouse!

The easiest way to see if it is a problem with the power of the flush and subsequent low-water level is to gently pour in a little extra water after flushing.  If the smell doesn't appear, or goes away, you've found the cause.

EDIT: To keep all the answers to the question asked by DC together, I have merged the two smelly toilet threads.

After reading this post I think that I may have a similar problem with a "toilette suspendu", before now I was dreading that it was the shower but the smell has only occurred twice, this time (and possibly last) after a home made curry!

My air admittance valve is on another vertical leg beside the toilet as I didn't want to penetrate the roof, if it is working properly it should let air in when flushing but not smelly air out, is that correct?

[quote user="J.R."]

After reading this post I think that I may have a similar problem with a "toilette suspendu", before now I was dreading that it was the shower but the smell has only occurred twice, this time (and possibly last) after a home made curry!

My air admittance valve is on another vertical leg beside the toilet as I didn't want to penetrate the roof, if it is working properly it should let air in when flushing but not smelly air out, is that correct?

[/quote]

yes

[quote user="Dc"]

I have marked the existing water level and slowly poured water into the bowl. The water slowly seeps away until it reaches the mark and the bowl smells of drains which slowly gets worse??????!!!

dc

[/quote]

"slowly seeps away" does not sound right to me,  To my knowledge, after flushing the water level should almost immediately reach a constant level and stay there. Do you know that the admittance valve is actually working. its difficult to imagine why it shouldn't but this is an odd problem.

bj

[quote user="Dc"]

toilet is on its own no other items sharing the waste pipe. I'm beginning to think the seal on the waste pipe must be the problem!

dc

[/quote]

Sounds as if it is. Time to remove any covers and have a good look? I've always found soft loo paper, or paper towel, good for finding even the smallest weep[;-)]

hi

ok It cannot be the seal , the toilet water trap is internal  " built into the casting " if you have a leak and the water level is going down in the loo ,then it must have a crack / hole in it ,

is it posible to remove the outlet pipe from the loo . fill the u-bend and then check for a leak.

if there is no leak then it must be down to suction from the water going down the stench pipe

this could be from another toilet/ sink in another part of the house,

has the fosse tank got a vent fitted to it ? it should have . or is it blocked

just ideas

dave

On the old toilets I think that was the case but on these new suspended ones they try to save water so i'm not sure how they work. If I were to draw a line from the top of the waste pipe at the back of the toilet the water level in the bowl is lower so there must be a chance that something is out of kilter.

We have 3 toilets and 3 vent pipes and there is no leak. The nearest sink or toilet must be 15 metres away as the crow/ water flies/flows.

I am going to purchase a new connector/seal tomorrow as I can't see what else it can be.

thanks for all help

regards

dc

Don't be sidetracked by the pipe height:

The water level in the trap should settle out at lowest point of the trap (draw a toilet and an 'S'-bend and you'll see what I mean) the water only gets to the top of the 'S' when it's flushing.

Can you block the flow off at the fosse (or is that too grusome) ? Flush it a couple of times until the pipework is full: you'll soon find a leak, if there is one, that way.

p