Contacting EDF to change our electric capacity

tenniswitch

The rewiring of our maison secondaire is now complete (although it will still be some time before the house is habitable).  I know we will need to contact EDF in order to raise our capacity (our factures say 6kw and the meter says 30 something (amps?).  What I don't know is when I need to get in touch with EDF (my French isn't up to handling this by phone, I'll either have to go in person or do it via the website) or exactly what I need to tell them.  (The electricien recommends I ask to be increased to 45, BTW.) 

If some experienced person will advise me, I shall be extremely grateful.

Hello Tenniwitch

I've had to do this a few times my french is now good enough to handle the call but the first time I was nervous like you.  I did manage it by phone and they came about a week or so later.  I would just call the number on the bills and ask for a rendex-vous, they will ask why and you need to practice being able to say plus d'amp or something close, they may even put you thorugh to someone who can speak english... As for when not sure what you mean, you can book an appointment for when it suits you..

Panda

We have had to do the same thing - twice. There is an EDF office in our nearest town, Mirande, which is open 2 mornings a week and the man in there was very helpful. He spoke a little bit of english. Ask your electrician - is he french? -  to write down what needs doing and give it to the man. OR - just remembered - the first time we did this the electrician rang the EDF himself and got it all arranged, they sent someone round and he changed it. Pat.

I had to get ours changed from 3kW when we bought. I rang and asked them to come and increase the kilowatts. Un fortunately I spoke TOO MUCH French on the phone and had to endure a LONG series of questions about what we had, or intended to have, plus an even longer technical explanation of WHY I needed more kilowatts, (which I already knew).

I then asked for it to be done asap, but lo and behold, the man who did it was on strike so no-one could come for the next week anyway.

My advice is to ring asap and speak little or no English.

How about this then???

I waved down an EDF van as it passed my house, I think it had been visiting someone else in the hamlet.

I asked the question " how do I get my supply put up from 3kw to 6kw"

He said like this.... Got out his van Klick Klick Klick....job done!!  [blink]

Can now have the kettle and microwave on at the same time without plunging the whole house into darkness[Www]

Dogwood [:P]

[quote user="Charlotte3"]

Just curious,

But why do you need to raise the capacity?

We are on 6kw and have an amazing array of electrical gadgets, heating, tumple dryer, electric hob etc, etc. We very rarely trip out ( like about twice per year). Think cost!

Aly

[/quote]

We will have (a rather large) electric chauffeau, radiateurs in at least 3 rooms, cooktop, oven, dishwasher, lave-linge, clothes dryer, refrigerator, small kitchen apps, stereo, television, computer, etc.  Heaven knows how many will be running simultaneously.  I'm not in a good position to judge, because I'm used to an entirely different system, but the electricien suggested we increase the capacity.  How much does that increase the base price?

[quote user="dogwood"]

How about this then???

I waved down an EDF van as it passed my house, I think it had been visiting someone else in the hamlet.

I asked the question " how do I get my supply put up from 3kw to 6kw"

He said like this.... Got out his van Klick Klick Klick....job done!!  [blink]

Can now have the kettle and microwave on at the same time without plunging the whole house into darkness[Www]

Dogwood [:P]

[/quote]

Good story.  I had a somewhat similar experience once in the US when needing repair to my telephone line.

[quote user="J.R."]

But did he report it back and hence you are now paying a higher abonnement?

Or was it a case of  "can I borrow your lead seals and crimping tool please?"

[/quote]

Hi J R.

Yes he did change the abonnement. He took a reading of the meter on the old rate. Then changed the cutoff switch to the 6Kw, Then got me to sign to say it had been done.

Still the higher rate not too bad. Better than the ....... "dont switch the kettle on... O Bu******r!!![:D]

Dogood

Tenniswitch,

We have all those as well and a 6kw supply. We don't have to juggle all that much (really just the kettle, 2 rings on the hob AND the tumble dryer thing). Everything else works just like it did at home.....not thinking, just turn it on!

Aly