Laying floor tiles

cookehouse

I have a split level house with the downstairs room cut into a hillside. The floor is concrete and extends from the room to a covered patio. The room is quite dry. There is no DPC. Not sure whether to lay the tiles direct onto the concrete or to lay a DPC first. I really want to avoid laying DPC/screed/tiles and think maybe DPC/tiles would be unstable. Any experienced tilers out there suggest solution?  

hi

ok they lay floor tiles outside so damp is no problem , if you use the correct glue , but 109e is right if you are worried about the damp, tank if first ...but throw on some sharp sand when the dpc is still wet , this will give you a good bond for the tiles . used this method a few times in the uk, but always used quarry tiles on top , and never had any problems.

dave

We have a similar problem but the macon told me in a room that the concrete base was not dug up, it was not possible to but a dpc of plastic or bitumen on top of the concrete. He said that it would only work under because to put it on top could create more problems such as the concrete not breathing.

We are putting natural stone travertine tiles down on top of the concrete with no dpc so would loath to see them become ruined if this isn't the case and he is wrong. [8-)]