Leaky roof

Hereford

Hello all you renovators

We have posted a message in the Section "North West France" re a problem with our roof but have had no replies yet.

Does anyone have any advice on a roof that has been "renothermed" but now leaks.?

Many thanks

hereford

Thanks for the replies - we rather suspected that we may have to take the tiles off, but how difficult is that?  Has anyone done it!!

"Coating" was suggested by an English roofer (who promptly left France to return to the UK).. Has anyone any experience of this please?

H.

Just seen your posting and OH said no wonder the roofer left France, he obviously had no idea what to do properly here. Looks like full strip and re-do that part I'm afraid. We do many  roofs and do not use any such products or treatments.

I'm not a professional so can't comment on what the others say above.  However, if it were my roof and it leaked, I would want to see the whole thing stripped off and replaced.  If you start sealing it, what are you sealing in?  How much have the long-term leaks affected your battens etc.  It costs, but at least you'll be living in a house that will not fall down around you.  We re-roofed our 150-year old house in the UK and we've done the same with a similar aged house here (in both cases re-using the tiles where possible).  You do sleep better, if a little poorer!

[quote user="Hereford"]Thanks for the replies - we rather suspected that we may have to take the tiles off, but how difficult is that?  Has anyone done it!!

"Coating" was suggested by an English roofer (who promptly left France to return to the UK).. Has anyone any experience of this please?

H.
[/quote]

I am no roofer but I have replaced a couple of roofs.

Stripping a slate roof couldn't be easier (especially if you don't want to recover the slates). The coating will make the job several times more difficult - more to point, it will cost quite a bit more.

Hello, thanks fior all the helpful replies.  It is a slate roof.  The problem is that as far as we can see it is not "easy" ro remove the slates as the Renotherm "stcks" to them and sticks them all together - the hooks become irrelevant. They have to be prised off.   The renotherm was done 11 years ago.  We had had it done in the UK on an old tile roof in a conservation area and have not problems.

We were certainly not keen on the idea of coating so will discount that.

Do any of you know a good roofer in the Mortain/St Hilaire/Avranches region of southern Normandy?  Our French is not bad but the French roofer we have used for other work just shrugs his shoulders!!

Many thanks in any case to you all for your interest

H.