renovation costs

canard

I'm sure this one pops up all the time but I wanted a bit of reassurance for our forthcoming project.

We have a stone farmhouse in Aquittane, bought with new roof and fosse but it requires major renovation (eg. floors levelled, plumbed, wired, new openings made and repointed) It's on two floors of 100 m2 each.

We've found a local builder who's shown us examples of his work, which is very impressive and we met one of his clients who was very satisfied. He's also done a small job for us which we're very pleased with.

His estimate of costs is 700 euros per square metre though we think that will very quickly run to 1000. He is going to give us a more detailed estimate but we haven't asked anyone else for a price because I think we want him to do it. Also he's so busy he can't start for 18 months but we can work to that time scale.

I know it's almost impossible to nail down a budget and folly to think in terms of cost per square metre (I've searched the other threads!) but does this sound like a fair price and are we going about this the right way?

Thanks for any comments.

The only way to assess the price is to wait for the devis, it is not a contract and you don't have to accept it.

Without knowing the extent of the work envisaged nobody can advise you as to whether the price is fair on not.  A lot of builders use a rate per m2 for types of work on a fixed scale but that figure of 700€ per sq M. seems a bit broad brush and high, but as you have openings to be made in stone walls and they are very expensive if done properly he might not be far off the devis price.   Renovation is not cheap or quick as you are about to find out.

On a huge project, SqM devis is all you can do - after all, you don't really know what you are going to find, once you get into the job. I would say the 700€ is actually rather cheap - up to double that around here for a 200SqM property needing total renovation.

I'd bite his hand off.

Actually, no. I'd run a mile, but then I have done/seen enough renovation to last me a lifetime. Or I'd flatten it & start again, for alot less money.

Thank you both for the responses. We are working toward getting a better quote but it's difficult to pin our man down on work to start in 2009.

I'm hoping 700 euros is going to be realistic for a basic job but I think we'll end up with twice that by the time the spec is finished.

Our builder says it could take 6 months but we should plan for a year for the work.

The good thing is we're expecting it to over run both in time and cost and it's being done as a labour of love rather than for profit.

Yours hopelessly naively,

canard

Hi there,if it helps these are the approximate costs of our place in the Limousin.

The small house and barn is being combined to make one large dwelling of about 230 sq m total.At first we were informed it would be around €150,000 to achieve this.However,we like most have added to our original design several times,some costing less and some more.

Once the Devis came in,it was apparent that the original idea had escalated dramatically.We now stand at approx €250,000,largely influenced by the need to replace the roof as old tiles were industrial grade.Chimney top had to be rebuilt too,due to acid erosion of old bricks, underfloor heating and so it goes on!!

We are still working in the UK at moment and have decided this task was just too big for DIY version, hence having local artisans and judging by their efforts so far we are so glad we did!

New roof is fantastic and apparently work has now started on cutting new windows/doors etc.Our architect is project managing the whole thing for us(Sound move,even if it adds to costs)

Hope you can get an idea from this for your project.

Best of luck.JB

We are at about the halfway mark on renovations. We did some number crunching a few weeks ago. Looks like what the property cost us we will spend about the same amount on renovations. We are adding a pool, renovating a previously unsed grenier. We are also buying expensive bathroom fittings as we only want to do this once.

So for us it would be the cost of the property is what we are paying for renovation.

Rough and ready formula i know but I am sure some genius mathematician could add all these 'formulas' together and come up with something!!!

John

[quote user="catalpa"][quote user="jxedwards"]

So for us it would be the cost of the property is what we are paying for renovation.

[/quote]

I'm guessing you didn't pay €25,000 for a ruin, then? [:D]
[/quote]

That Formula did definitely not work for us! Let's say Purchase Price x 3