Charette renovation

sid

Hardly "house renovations" but I didn't think it should go under "driving in France" either! Here goes...

I have obtained an old charette (a cart), in a very dirty condition (carte grise? [:)] ) and I intend to clean it up, paint/lasure it, and put it in the front garden loaded with flowers (well, that'll be next year). A friend has told me that I need to treat the woodwork with linseed oil as it will be very dry and brittle, and if I don't do this it's likely to deteriorate very quickly once it's out in the weather. Apparently this treatment needs to be done over many weeks as each application soaks in.

My intention was to clean it with a pressure washer, give it a couple of coats of 'xylo' and later to paint most of the woodwork with a microporous paint, the chassis with lasure, and the iron work with a 'fer' paint.

I'd welcome any advice.

Sid

hi

ok I have had good results using this mix on out side wood ... after you have given it the xylo treatment and its dry ...mix 2/3 of a bottle of linseed oil with 1/3 bottle of pure turpintine  ( not subturps ) must be pure , then add large table spoon full of sciatiff ( spelling ??? )  you can then give it up to 2 maybe 3 coats a day , it will dry hard it time and feed the wood , and you can paint over it when fully dry .

all  the products can be got local

hope this helps

Dave

Have you ever seen a blue one on the road? This blue idea is just for gardens I think. What is wrong with a lovely wood finish. It would show off the plants better as well. I remember a garden in Deux Sevres which had two charettes, both painted blue alongside what was supposed to be a garden. Somewhere near Hanc I think, I cringed whenever I saw them. However it's your choice in the end.

Dave

This sounds like what I heard about. So, it's all about feeding the wood, a bit like oiling a cricket bat? I wondered about this; presumably lasure doesn't have any nourishing effects. It sounds like a long process as the cart is just over 6 metres long. I'm going to need a bulk supply of linseed and the other ingredients. Are they available at the usual DIY places?

Sid

Daisymay

Actually, I've never seen any on the road! [blink] This one of mine must be nearly 100 years old judging by the local maker's label. I agree that natural wood would look better, but I'm told quite categorically that blue is the colour and I can see traces on various parts of the frame. I think they're referred to as "charettes bleues". I can't envisage any farmer taking the time to maintain the paintwork on a working cart, and I guess that's why most of them finish up looking grey and neglected. If I am to to do a proper renovation I'd have to use the original colours, but as it's not going to be used as a 'show cart' for concours events, and it's just going to stand in the garden, I think we can use discretion on the colour choice, so I'm going to mull it over. In the meantime there's plenty to do before I can start painting.

At least I don't have to worry about getting a registration for it!

Regards

Sid

hi

ok you can get them all in Mr Bricolage     linseed oil in 5 ltr or 1ltr  bottles  .. the pure turps is just to thin it down  but it`s better than white spirits for the wood . the sciffatiff  ( spelling ) is a hardener look out for it in a small glass bottle in the brico`s    should say sciffatiff  sans plomb.   a few good coats should be enough  . lash it on thick wait for say 30 mins and wipe of excess.

Dave

Yes, blue is the colour I'm afraid. If I have my facts right  it goes back deep into French history, the thirteenth century I think, when south west france manufactured woad. It was very expensive stuff so it was a mark of status to be able to afford to paint your property with it.

Apparently the trade was wiped out "overnight " by cheap foreign imports.

bj