Reconnecting to old Electricity meter?

Jacqui      Too

Hi

We bought our house nr. Savignac les Eglises in January, It will be a part renovation project as it is not to bad a condition.

One of the first things we would like to sort out is the electricity, There is electricity conected but it is swithched off because the house has not been lived in for at least 15-20 years!! we know that we will be having the whole house rewired as part of the renovation, but the meter is so old that I'm not sure if the electricity company will reconnect  to it  or will we have to replace it before we ask them to reconnect?

We need to have a supply in as soon as posible,

Any help would be greatly appreciated[:)]

Chipie

Hi

We had an old meter in an appartment that had been turned off years before, the EDF said that it could not be reconnected without a vist form the consuel who inspects such installations.

In your case you could ask for the electricity to be made available just for the renovation work, a similar set up to the electricity they run to a new build.. Then you can run your tools from it and get the full link up when all is safe. 

We just used the electricity from the appartment next door and made the upgrades, the consuel came and signed us off all is well now.  We had a new meter fitted at the same time as it was ancient.

Panda

12 years ago EDF would and did reconnect without a CONSUEL inspection. The meter is theirs. There was a new tableau in place with one socket wired in, a new earth piquet and clear eveindence of an exisitng supply. Not sure of the current position but I would give it a try..   

We bought 6 years ago and had a really antiquated board with ceramic fuses.

EDF came out and said it would be ok so long as we did'nt run more than 2 heaters. They connected us there and then.

Always ask the experts (in this case EDF), that way you know for sure.

Aly

Bearing in mind, of course, that EDF don't really care if you burn down your house.............

Their main concern is that their trip protects their system!

As we found, EDF are pretty laid back about your installation: if it already exists.

Play safe: the inspection and, hopefully, subsequent certification is not carried out by EDF.

If you are planning on a complete re-wire as part of the project, as Nick (who is a French certified working electrician and in fact a very well qualified Electronic Engineer!) states, have a temporary supply which is safe, for the renovation.

If the meter is not in good condition EDF will change it at no charge either on the visit when they come to reconnect you or very soon after.

When we first moved into our old house the EDF guy took one look at the rubber covered cables in tin tubing and said "I'm not reconnecting that" but what he did do is disconnect our supply cable from their connection box after the meter and basically said "what you do after I'm gone is your business" - so of course I reconnected our original cable as a temporary measure [:)]

EDF reconnected my property 2 years ago after a period of inoccupation for 7 - 10 years.

The wiring was/is 80 years old and in a dreadfully dangerous condition, I am replacing it as I restore each part and getting consuel on each new installation

The engineer reconnected the tails coming in to the house, calibrated the disjoncteur and replaced all the lead seals but did not switch anything on, he told me "my responsibility ends here, it is up to you now, good luck - you will need it!"

So in my experience you will not have a problem

Wow   

Lots of different replies, I think we will probably go for the temporary supply while the works are being done, we need to use power tools, lights, fridge, shower, and of course TV[Www]

Does anyone know how much a temp. supply will cost to connect and will it cope with what we want to run off it?

Chipie

• 2 months later...

Hi

Just an update on this post

I have just got back from a short trip out to the house to meet up with an electrician and a builder who are giving us quotes for electrics and a new fosse. Husband was to busy to come  so just me and a friend.

Our estate agent had also arranged for the EDF to visit re: reconnect the electricity [:-))]

They (he) turn up on time and looked at my meter [:-))] then proceeded to tell me in French what the situation was, I only grasped a few words, problem, telephone, and some pointing to the pole outside in the road. He came back a short time later ( thank goodness my agent had arrived to help with the electrician and builder) lots of discussion followed and he left, I was told that they would connect to the meter and that I could have a new meter installed outside the house when I had  all the electrical work done and inspected.

So to my surprise another team from EDF came out that very same day (actually it was after 6.00pm) to 'do' some thing to the pole in the road, after putting their ladders away I accompanied them into the house they pressed a button on the meter and I was amazed when the light in the kitchen (with the oldest dirtiest bulb I have ever seen) came on [:D]

Next day the electrician came back and cut off all the old outgoing cables from the meter and put us a couple of new temporary sockets and lights.

Thank you all for your replies to my original post

Jackie

hello there

I've been searching the forum to try to find an electrician who is within striking distance of Montemboeuf, south of the charente.  We are hoping to complete on a small house there which needs rewiring.  We are actually going out to look at the house this Friday and I asked the agent if he knew any local electricians who could meet us there. Some of the wiring isn't earthed and must therefore be dangerous so I need to have someone ready to do the work when we move in.  You mentioned someone called Nick?  Wonder if you could let me have his details please?

many thanks