Bathroom waste pipes (which glue?)

chocccie

It is not a glue as such, but a gel of pvc solvent which temporarily dissolves the surfaces and then evaporates leaving a solid joint.

http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/nflash/plumbing/WasteSolv/WasteSolv.htm

In the UK it is called Solvent Weld Cement, in France Colle PVC.  Usually found in bricos at the end of the shelves for PVC pipes. Available in a tube or a small screw top can.

Cut the pipe and de-burr the cut ends, otherwise the pipe will jam.

Assemble the joint dry and with a felt tip mark the pipe for both the depth into the joint and the angle of the pipe into the fitting.

Disassemble and deglaze the surfaces with some fine sandpaper and wipe any dust off.

Apply the cement all round both surfaces - time is critical from hereon in. Assemble the joint with a twisting motion to spread the solvent and melted pvc around the joint BUT WORK QUICKLY as you have only a few seconds to get the felt tip marks in line. Suddenly the weld will 'grab' and from then there is no way back.

[quote user="Jerac"]

Assemble the joint with a twisting motion to spread the solvent and melted pvc around the joint BUT WORK QUICKLY as you have only a few seconds to get the felt tip marks in line. Suddenly the weld will 'grab' and from then there is no way back.[/quote]

You have confirmed what I thought should be done when assembling the pipes. However the instructions in French seem to indicate that the joint should be assembled without twisting.

Which method is correct?

It is important to deburr the pipes before test assembly, but only sandpaper to deglaze the surfaces after the test assembly, otherwise they can stick as if glued.

As to the twist/no twist question I have seen both methods advocated.  The twist, if applied, is only a slight twisting motion and not a screwing together. I prefer to apply a twist to ensure a good distribution of the melted pvc, but as I said before care is needed to avoid the weld grabbing whilst the joint is out of alignment