Letting light through a rail / stud plasterboard wall ?

joidevie

I'm looking into easy ways of getting a bit more light into a couple of small bathrooms which would not ordinarily have any natural light. My builders will be fixing classic metal rails and plasterboard - is there an easy solution to say fitting some 'panels' of frosted glass (say 1x2m) within the rails? I'm not sure glass blocks are an option.. And I don't really want to frighten them off with anything too expensive or complicated.. Maybe a simple wooden 'frame' with the panes fitted? Will they baulk at the addition?

Thanks for any ideas..

Either of your ideas would suit but I'm sure if you asked your builders they will come up with an easy option. When renovating one house with a similar problem I bought some leaded coloured glass quarter lights,in the wooden frames and just installed them above eye level between the studwork.At least they gave it a bit of character.

Regards.

I have seen a gadget here in UK in one of those "style" magazines that will give natural light into the gloomiest of rooms.   It looks like a Velux-type of window up on your roof but by some jiggery-pokery it drains natural light down the tube and into the room in question, so the darkest space can be fed natural sunlight.

However it was horrifically expensive - not so good - but if you want to show off to the neighbours, this little number would surely be The One to do it..

It is a light tube. Velux do one and there are a few versions around. Worth a google...

The basic way they work is by gathering light at roof level by means of a clear dome or a skylight and reflecting it through a shiny pipe or tube down to the ceiling of the dark room.

We initially built a 45 cm by 30 cm 'window' instained glass between our very narrow ensuite and the bed room. As the stained glass cost over £ 250 we replaced it with a fixed frosted glass before we started having people round to view. The discussion about putting a window in the ensuite was short and Anglo Saxon ( actualy Norse for those who know the language) . Isabel said she wanted a window in the ensuite and I suggested that if she put one in most of that ******* side of the house would fall down. If the wall does not bear a load you can put as bigger hole as you like in it