Best to say nothing?

Gastines

A pal bought the usual renovation job but it did have a new roof. He asked me over to look at the house and give him some ideas for the interior. He had engaged a builder to do all the work as I am now retired and no longer take on this type of job. Basically the ground floor was just one open space and likewise the first floor. In the ground floor the main beams,normal thing front to back wall,about a meter apart and sagging slightly in the middle as they,and we, tend to do over the years. The builder had installed a steel under these beams and had acro'd the steel up to get rid of the sagging?????? AsI looked around I could see that as he'd lifted the steel, it had efectively lifted the beams and the entire top of the house. I could see daylight all around the granit walls where the beams had rested. My wife who was with me thought it a bit strange too. Rather than cause any problems I bade my pal farewell.

He phoned last night to say the builder has advised that he will have to put an 8"[he's not French ] oak beam under the existing beams to support them??? I thought I had better not mention the reduced head height.

I have helped this chap out quite a few times, usually with no thanks,financial or otherwise but I wonder what other Foum members would have done,or said?

Regards.

" He asked me over to look at the house..."

This, I think, puts you in bit of a spot. If you had casually popped in uninvited and had a cursory look around I think you might have a clear conscience. BUT, the pal knows you're a (retired) builder and wanted an opinion from someone who knows more about buildings than him.

I think you owe it to him to tell him - then don't do any more favours. 

Well, that's what I'd do.

I am reminded of a dear old friend, sadly no longer with us, who came from Doncaster in Yorkshire.

As a very good engineer and a Yorkshireman, he had no truck with idiots or incompetence: he was also possessed of a waspish sense of humour!

Alan would have taken one look at the gap, laughed uproarishly and have said something like, " Unless you like breezes Mate, you've a bit of a problem there! Know any good architects!"

Yes,I suppose I will have to open my trap and suffer the consequences. Unfortunately, he is of the type that asks ten people their opinion and then only takes  heed of the one that suits  him. As long as they like a drink and a chat the TRADES people he acquires are usually the best thing since sliced bread,in his opinion.I did wonder if it was only my view of the work that was in the wrong. I must admit when I saw the gap around the beams and the daylight, I was tempted to ask if he was raising the roof to put another floor in.

Regards.

Give him the news, my OH certainly wouldn't make any bones about it and it prooves the "builder" he is using is useless if he cannot see what you spotted right away. A true friend is one that would realise you have his best interests at heart and not take your friendship lightly.