Price Check

Paul King

Hi All,

We have just purchased a property in Charente and will soon be requiring a builder, plumber etc to fit a new kitchen and bathroom.  In the UK the daily rates for such tradesmen would be circa £200 per day - will this be the same in France or are labour rates lower/higher that within the UK?

Also are Kitchens & bathrooms equivelent prices in France as per the UK?

Many thanks

Paul & Maureen

Few builders, plumbers etc charge by the day. The normal procedure is to get a "devis" - a quote (not an estimate) for the whole job.

On the whole, sanitaryware is cheaper in France, BUT, because a plumber is required to give a 10-year guarantee on it, he will tend not to install the "headline price" stuff that you can buy in the DIY sheds.

Broadly speaking, in France you either DIY it or get someone in to do it - never the twain.

hi, we have just been doing the same thing and found kitchens at very competitive rates in france, quite a few to choose from at brico-depot, leroy merlin, lapyre. but we eventually bought a very nice free standing kitchen from IKEA in bordoux, as other posties have said bathroom fittings are available from all the above at good rates, you just have to choose your price bracket. have fun, mel.

[quote user="Paul King"]

the daily rates for such tradesmen would be circa £200 per day - will this be the same in France [/quote]

Depends on the size of the company doing the work of course, but your in the right ball park.

Just to comment on the 13 euros an hour mentioned, its not possible for a registered artisan to charge this amount even if he wanted to!!

good luck

I have found that most skilled tradesmen charge in the region of 40 euros per hour.  Mind you, we paid megabucks to a bloke who installed our woodburner and (very fancy) range cooker.  He did supply all the materials which included a pricey double insulated flue but we are talking in excess of  5400 euros for his work not of course including the appliances which we bought ourselves.  Got me in a real sweat, I can tell you.  However, when my husband costed it out, he said it was only possibly a few hundred pounds dearer than it would have been in the UK and I don't think his UK prices are spot on because he is a Building Surveyor and we lived in Wales so we would normally get a slightly better rate than people who are not involved in the building industry and who do not live in the third world!