poele christening

squidge

hi all

we had a new pretty poele and liner chimney tube thing installed a few months ago ready for the winter.

do we need to do anything 'different' or 'special' the first time we light it?

also ... while i'm here.... any cunning suggestions / knowledge out there on how to create the perfect fire?! 

i'm collecting pine cones at the mo as i hear they're kindling gods.

thanks!!!

squidge x

Hope its better than our experience of lighting our fire for the first time last Christmas when we filled the house with thick acrid smoke.   Now had the opening made larger so should not be a repeat performance this year.........................

Here in UK I chuck Eucalyptus bark onto the fire - its smells lovely - as does Rosemary.   The herb NOT the woman of course!!   [I]

Don't forget for the very first time you light up to make a small fire and build it up gradually to allow the various cast iron components time to 'expand' without cracking or breaking. After that 1st time there's no problem.

Good luck and happy fires!

The instructions on ours advised that we 'season' over a period of one month.   That is to say, start with miniscule fires (and you will be amazed how much warmer you feel just because you can see a flame - although actually no heat is being thrown out whatsoever !!!!).   Gradually build up fire, not allowing it to touch the sides directly for around a month.   Not saying this is strictly necessary (although it is for the reason which raindog has identified), but we decided to go along with it and be a slave to the instructions ......  I think use common sense - just don't have big roaring fires for a few weeks.   Happily you are at the right time of year to just simmer it along for a few hours a night until the cold really hits.

Just a little comment:

if at all possible it's not advisable to burn green wood in any quantity, that is any wood which was cut down within the last year or even two - the reason being that green wood produces not a lot of heat but plenty of sooty deposit in the chimney and a tarry liquid which condenses in the chimney and proceeds to run down until it can find somewhere to deposit itself !! the ideal situation is to store logs for a few years before use - then they will give a lot more heat and produce less soot and tar - but they will burn more quickly.

also, re. pine cones - they do need to be open and very dry to be useful so look out for last years ones :)

last tip: just in front of the poele is a very good place to put your "tonights" bottle of red wine to get it up to temperature, not too close though.

Have fun :D

ooooo haven't organised it just yet......... the sun's doing his job well at the mo. very summery still.

i'm also going to have probs getting mark to create a 'small' fire....... he is man of house - he must make BIG fire otherwise he not REAL MAN.

ours is a pretty stove - a godin boy. untried and tested as of yet though.

One thing to be aware of is that the first time you light it you will most likely get a not too pleasant smell coming off it. I can't remember why but the instructions which come with a Godin will mention it...at least ours did (we have 2). It happens with all new stoves - something to do with the manufacturing process and burning off whatever was left on it during that process.

So....light it for the first time when you don't plan to sit admiring it with a glass of wine! You will likely need / want to open the windows to get rid of the smell too.

Richard

• 1 month later...
The smell can last for some time, though declines (i.e. not just 1st and 2nd use).  How long probably depends on the fire and how sensitive you are to it.  also, even once a bit older, it can still give of a bit of a smell - probably dust that has settled on the thing.  Not bad or too noticeable though.

How you are not managing to run it at the moment is amazing.  We had temperatures down to -5 last night.

Ian