ELECTRICAL GAINE

Pete

All,

Am going to start looking at the wiring in my barn conversion at Xmas.

A branch has been taken from the cottage but not yet connected.  Electrician won't connect until he is happy that the electrics conform to the French norms.

My question is:  Can I lay telephone cable and electrical cable in the same gaine throughout the barn?

Any guidance appreciated.

Pete

Nick Trollope wrote;   "In fact, you cannot share gaines between cables/conductors fed from different breakers"

Not so

The French wiring regulations do allow this.  I could look up the actual reg in my copy of the NFC 15-100 but otherwise in my short version it says " Un conduit ou gaine peut contenir de conducteurs appartenant à des circuits differents si tous les conducteurs sont isolés pour la tension assigné présente la plus élevée"

"A conduit or gaine can contain conductors fed from different circuits if all the conductors are insulated for the highest voltage present"  And so as the majority of conducteurs and cables are insulated for a 1000V these days, then this poses no problem.

Mains voltage wiring and (TV telephone video etc) must never be placed in same gaine, as you have correctly mentioned.

Paul.

www.punchardrenovation.com

Paul,

Can you remember off hand the max amperages for 10mm, 16mm and 25mm cables please? I've buried my book with the data somewhere in the barn under 11 van-loads of furniture.

Also when daisy-chaining from one tableau to another does the cable have to be in the red gaine as it would be from meter/EDF 500mA breaker to the a single tableau?

p

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"]Paul,
Can you remember off hand the max amperages for 10mm, 16mm and 25mm cables please? I've buried my book with the data somewhere in the barn under 11 van-loads of furniture.
Also when daisy-chaining from one tableau to another does the cable have to be in the red gaine as it would be from meter/EDF 500mA breaker to the a single tableau?

p
[/quote]

If your EDF supply disjoncteur is 9 Kw (45A), then the minimum cable size is 10mm - max length from EDF disjoncteur to tableau = 22 metres . However I would always recommend minimum 16mm2 these days which is good for up to 36 metres on a 45A supply. On a 60A supply, minimum size is 16mm with a maximum length of 27metres. 25mm cable on a 60A supply is good for 42 metres.

Red TPC gaine is only used normally for underground supplies where the cable is buried in the ground. You can link you Tableau in standard gaine, assuming you respect the sizes of gaine required if you are using conductors. If using a cable to link, then it as to be in a gaine where it passes through floors and walls.

Just to throw in my two pennorth, or it you like deux sous................

Whether it is or is not allowed under regulations one reason it's not a good idea to mix signal cables like TV telephone etc with mains wiring is that this causes various types of interference, through induction and EMF. The telephone circuit can suffer induced mains hum, for example.

Modern "Pulse" i.e. digital electronics circuits, suffer significant ambient problems from spurious pulses, emissions etc already.

Not good practice to encourage this!