Replacing windows/frames

cartref

Hi,

I live in Pas de Calais and the window frames in my house are showing signs of wear. Are they easy to remove and replace? Anybody done this? I would like the wood grain PVC if possible. My patio door is woodgrain PVC and it would match up if the windows were the same. Anybody in this area used a window company for replacements windows? Costly?

thanks

cartref

Can't say what it's like now, or in the PdC, but when we did ours about three years ago in Southern Haute Vienne, it was cheaper than the UK.

Also, it ended up costing me under €5 to have each window/door fitted, as I only paid TVA at 5.5% since it was done by a French-registered artisan. That's compared to the price I WOULD have paid for the windows/doors for a self fit, with TVA at 19.6%, of course.

I've almost always found that the best way to find a good artisan is to ask the locals.

HTH

"Hi,

I live in Pas de Calais and the window frames in my house are showing signs of wear. Are they easy to remove and replace? Anybody done this? I would like the wood grain PVC if possible. My patio door is woodgrain PVC and it would match up if the windows were the same. Anybody in this area used a window company for replacements windows? Costly?

thanks

cartref"

If you really want PVC (see below) then Lapeyre sell decor chene miel finish pvc windows and doors in their Elegance (possibly a contradiction in terms!) PVC range.

"PVC is disgusting and certainly not necessary for window frames. Do the world a favour and use wood..........then you won't have to worry about the grain.

Wilko"

Agree completely

"Added to which, wood grain PVC windows still look like white PVC windows covered in Fablon (or "sticky-back plastic" if you are a certain age...). Hideous at best. No prospect of getting permission for them around here, either."

As above - unfortunately in our area, north 47, the planners have allowed the blight of PVC. I have been dismayed to drive past old stone buildings being restored and then fitted with white PVC windows and doors.

"wooden windows ....... too much yearly maintenance and the added hassle of them contracting and swelling with the weather .......still each to their own"

Over the last few years we have replaced all our windows with Lapeyre Tradition Chene - we have also fitted these for clients, together with the lower cost Lapeyre Isoprix Bois - none of these have contracted or swelled with the weather - possibly you are confusing modern wooden windows with old single-glazed windows made from softwood.

Regards,

BobC

On the same subject.Our windows although in good condition spoiled by the old previous owner varnishing before the putty was weathered leaving a ,orrible wrinkly finish,are not double glazed.I have perused secondary glazing-expensive and ugly.Does anyone know of the practicalities of having replacement openners made but double glazed.I do not want to replace the whole frame if possible due to access.I asked the local manuisier who looke askance and then tried to flog me with white upvc!I do not like this at all especially on older properties.Maude

What I am doing is to gradually replace the original single glazing with purpose made double glazed units: most older hardwood windows have sufficient depth, to allow routing a deeper glazing trough and finish with quad moulding, or similar.

Final stage is to fit outer units which synthesise the smaller 6 or 8 small squares, are hinged and simply lie on the exterior surface. These are common with new, hardwood doors and windows, BTW.

Ideal to recreate the older French "Farmhouse" window appearance.

Not only do I personally hate UVPC -  which, over time weathers to a dull yellowy nastyness (which even the proprietory acid treatments will not bring back to true white!), but good hardwood enjoys many years of effective life and correctly suits the desired ambience of older fermette style.

Not only have I respected the environment, I have saved oodles of hard won cash and preserved the appearance.

Does it for me!

The "English" fervour for junking everything periodically (ripping out perfectly servicable bathrooms, floors, kitchens, windows whatever), and replacing with new, tends to be in blind support of mass-marketing and image: a misplaced commodity I feel, in la belle France, where things are invariably manufactured to last for many years.

As I am the original poster of this thread, I was interested in all the replies it has generated. My problem is twofold, the wooden frames and windows are looking decidedly naff, one so called double glazed pane is cracked and the wood has started to rot around one of the frames. All these are at the front of the house which gets all the bad weather thrown at it. However, the patio doors (3 windows full length) are in woodgrain PVC which is in very good nick and IMHO looks good too. What I would like to do is replace the 'naff' frames with woodgrain pvc which would give the front of the house a more uniformed look. And hopefully last longer (I am a single senior citizen) and don't particularly want to replace again.

Each to their own I guess but I will check out Lapeyre and other window suppliers locally here in Pas de Calais.

thanks for your replies

cartref