lead pipes

Llwyncelyn

Hi we moved from Normandie to a village here in the Vendee and as against Normandie we are on mains drainage.

Yesterday a slight problem which meant that we had to look at the incoming mains water system.   The mains from Lyonniase des Eaux is entirely in lead.  The Mayor says that gradually throughout France they are being replaced and they are not dangerous?

Is this correct please and surely this should have come up on the diagnostic reports and as we had a separate independent report surely this should have been flagged up?

thanks

The reports only cover Lead in paint.

There is indeed a programme to replace all water supply pipes that are in lead supposedly by 2013, but don't hold your breath. This is being managed by the water companies who will contact you in due course. Unless the supply is particularly lengthy I wouldn't expect the cost to exceed 2000 euros. The average cost was said to be 5000 Francs back in 1999.

I wouldn't worry about the health risk, most water companies have adjusted the hardness of their water so as to minimise the risk. The idea is that the inside of the pipe builds up a coating which prevents the lead being absorbed into the water. 

Lead pipes in potable water are dangerous to health! Whether internally corroded or not.

If the property is older then you will find that the effective internal diameter of the feed is well restricted.

Since it is the water company's expense to replace the pipework up to the meter, perhaps a little judicious digging with a fork might create an "accident"?

Ours was badly corroded and had gone spongy, as old lead pipes are wont to do. The water company replaced the whole feed right from the road to inside the house in black plastic.

No cost.

If you don't fancy the "Accident" route, then fit a water filter capable of removing heavy metals.

WBB - I had always been under the same impression as BJSLIV, i.e. the diagnostics only concerned lead in paint, which seems to be borne out by sites such as http://www.alliancesudexpertise.com/ref-diagnostic-plomb.php, which references the official document http://www2.logement.gouv.fr/publi/sante/doc_pdf/plomb.pdf. I agree that as lead pipes are potentially rather more harmful, this is rather a strange situation.

So it would be interesting to know the source of your information.

the transaltion for the French text above reads:-

The search for lead drains does not form part of the field of

application of the CREP (the report of risk of exposure to lead)

Just for those of us who dont understand too much French [;-)]