Installing uPVC windows

nephilim

Suggest you play the attached link and come back with any questions.

http://www.vial-menuiseries.com/video-fenetre-pvc.html

I found Vial good value and their products are normally in stock. Installed two French Door and one sliding window in our Kitchen Dinning room. Brackets click into a groove oin the outside frame and you then bolt the brackets to the sideside wall prior to plasterboarding. I then foamed the edges. 

But if you buy windows and fit them yourself, you'll pay 19.6% TVA on the windows, whereas if you get a registered artisan to do it, you'll pay 5.5% on the whole lot. Usually works out at a few Euros per window  fitting, including all the materials.

Bit of a no-brainer, really[;-)]

I only use gun grade foam to retain windows and gave up on fixings many years ago, I would only use pattes de scellements when the windows are to be flush with the inside plasterboard over insulation which has yet to be fitted, ie hanging in mid air.

Mind you even when fitted like that with the PDS they might just as well be hanging in fresh air until they are foamed.

I recently cocked up on some window sizes and installed 3 first floor windows 100cm by 165cm into reveals made for 110cm windows, they finished up with a border of more than 5cm of foam all around (the old ones were foamed into generous reveals) and were still rock solid.

I also had to remove one that I fitted into the wrong hole (should have been an oscillo-battant) which came out cleanly after slicing through the foam with a breadknife or similar compared to the destruction when trying to remove windows fitted with PDS's from behind finished plasterboard and insulation.

[quote user="trees"]But if you buy windows and fit them yourself, you'll pay 19.6% TVA on the windows, whereas if you get a registered artisan to do it, you'll pay 5.5% on the whole lot. Usually works out at a few Euros per window  fitting, including all the materials.

Bit of a no-brainer, really[;-)]
[/quote]

Not always - in my case the windows and French Doors were going into a Kitchen Dinning room 50 sq metre extrension into what had been the lean to barn / winery so rate would be 19.6%.  Also it depends what other work you are trying to dovetail it with, how well you can predict when you will want them and how much the installers want.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Delay due to a visit to the UK to see the relations, first time back for nearly 2 years (aint it busy there!). Thanks for the replys, I think I will look into getting some fixings for them, either that or a friend's partner who is a builder said that they could be fixed similar to wood windows using 10mm Ficher (I think that is what he said) bolts and good quality sealant. Also like the video, he makes it look so easy!

Regarding the vat issue, these are windows that have been left to us so the reduced rate will not come into the equation.

Even though he made it look easy, it was still after dark before he finished so it is still time consuming. And as for applying silicone, any fitter will tell you that it is getting the finished silicone to look good instead of meandering blobs/lines of errant silicone that makes all the difference, That apart, its easy as pie..........to a novice cook [:D]