Historical Property Sale Prices in France

mikeh

If the house is advertised on 'http://www.seloger.com/' (the best site for finding a house in France) it will tell you if the house as been decreased in price. Other than that no. Well none that I can think of.

To give you an indication if any given house is priced correctly then use this site:

http://www.meilleursagents.com/prix-immobilier/#estimates

That site gave me an estimate twice the actual value. I don't think any property within 10-20 km would come near that estimated price.

To get the estimate the website also demanded name. address, phone number, e-mail, etc so estate agents could contact me. So I gave junk personal info.

It might be OK for a property in a town where there are many comparable properties but for a unique building in a small village it will have problems.

Not recommended.

[quote user="mikeh"]Is there anywhere that records historical sale prices for property in France such as 'Zoopla' in the UK? [/quote]

In a word ... No.

In this instance France remains at least 20 years behind the UK. But that is why we love it so.[:@]

Sue

Pomme what are you up to ? Why are you sending emails for estimates ?

You just enter your town/village/City and it will tell you the 'bas', 'moyen', 'haut' prix per square metre.

Look for the wonderful town of Eymet.

http://www.meilleursagents.com/prix-immobilier/eymet-24500/#estimates

Now look at this advert..http://www.seloger.com/annonces/achat/maison/eymet-24/102360073.htm?ci=240167&idtt=2&idtypebien=1,2&bd=Li_LienAnn_1

133 sq metres x 1388 (prix moyen per square metres in Eymet) = 184,604 euros. That house is overpriced.

No need to send emails ????

Of course there is a lot more to it than that but it is a useful guide.

Here is an example where there is an evolution of price.

http://www.seloger.com/annonces/achat-de-prestige/maison/orleans-45/acacias-bannier-groues/99176533.htm?ci=450234&idtt=2&idtypebien=1,2&bd=Li_LienAnn_1

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see it has gone down by 6% since September.

alittlebitfrench wrote "To give you an indication if any given house is priced correctly then use this site"

But, quite simply, those figures don't really tell you anything about a house being priced correctly. For my village the top m2 in € is twice the bottom m2 value with the average very near the mean. It does not distinguish between new-build and older chalets from old farmhouses, locality, etc, their state of repair, insulation, car parking facilities, outbuildings, amount of land, etc. So not really much use at all.

I wouldn't be surprised if you look at the m2 value for much of rural France you will find the average m2 is around 1200€ ± 30%. It is really the other aspects which affect the value.

So I tried the Estimation immobilière gratuite in the hope it might produce a more realistic valuation for my house. I have 10 rooms, multiple bathrooms, three garages, several extra tarmacked parking places, outbuildings and a few hectares of land. The estimate was 2.2 times the village top €/m2.

I just hope the tax office doesn't use the web site to calculate property values as it could push a lot of people into the wealth tax band.

Pomme.

I think when you go over a certain size (lets say over 250-300 sq metres) pricing by 'per square' does not really work. Large houses with lots of land with lots of out buildings does not appeal to the mainstream buyer and therefore are only worth as much as somebody wants to pay for it. These types of houses are really difficult to price both in rural locations and urban locations.

Same in Paris. It is roughly 10,000 euros per sq metre in Paris. A typical family 3 bed flat (sought after) of 80-100 sq metres will cost 800,000 -1,000,000 euros. Above that size (less sought after) and the price depends on a whole range of other factors.

So you are now saying your statement "To give you an indication if any given house is priced correctly then use this site" isn't correct.

The website doesn't give any of the caveats you've now stated or any helpful guidance on acceptable types of properties or limitations on the quality of the results either. So, without those, it is basically useless except for an undefined limited range of properties.

Even when I used the specific estimation form which has a lot of questions about the property, the result was wildly inaccurate.

Well Pomme what can I say. That site and others (there are plenty of them if you google about)....must be a reason for that !!!!! is very useful for young folk buying their first house, those moving up the property ladder and French retirees. It is also very useful when finding 'good' areas to live in a city. We move about a lot for work so it is invaluable to us. There are lot of magazines (l'express) on the shelves at the moment that say the same thing.

I agree that site is not much use to Brit expats who choose to buy piles of stones in the middle of nowhere that has no value or domaines that have 10 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms which really have limited appeal in the French property market. There is a website called Leggets I believe that comprises of a team of very knowledgeable and professional ex Tesco checkout girls and Quick Fit Fitters that might help you value your house.

Your post has made me snigger and that is always a good thing[:)]

I don't know how accurate, factual, etc your post is but I do like its entertainment value!

Pomme, I do believe that sue56 has said there is no means of finding out these things and that is my understanding also. 

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies. Very interesting.

My main reason for asking is that every house sale in France is done by a notarie, who then lodges the financial side of the deal with the local government office.

So technically, there must be a database of this information. I just assumed that it would have a portal in the public domain?

Zoopla in the UK is only interrogating to the Land Registry database and re-packaging the data through their own website.

You all make very valid points and I now know what's what.

Thank you all.

mikeh

On the notaire's website there are reports that give information on basic trends. I did once come across a more detailed report by department on thier website but I can't find it. It's not historical data, just the trend since the last report. Unfortunatly the last three or four show a downwards trend in prices.

I understood that, too. However, others were talking about notaires' data , whilst in turn pointing out that A: they couldn't find it in the form in which they knew it to exist, and B: it probably wasn't what the OP was looking for, so I found the thing that they (rather than the OP) was talking about.