woodworm

loobles

Hello,

This is my first time on this forum so I apologise if (as I imagine must be the case) this question has already been asked and answered.  I have the inevitable woodworm + conflicting advice as to what steps to take.  Problem is that they are destroying the floor although haven't got very far into the beams.  Can I treat this myself or do I need to have the whole house done by a professional and if so does anyone know of a good one in the Charente?    Thank you to anyone who can be bothered to read this!

A disposable paper boiler suit, a decent breathing mask a cheap garden spray and a large can of Xylophene will normally suffice.

Critical to spray all the beams until they are soaked: same with floorboards.

If a living area, check into a chambre' d'hote overnight!

Also treat all furniture, in particular ply backing and underneath.

I must recommend open all the windows and take regular breathers. Xylophene is pretty noxious, and when I did our roof internals I went distinctly wobbly and fell off the stepladder. Xylophones are more melodic but not very effective against woodworm unless you use the little hammer to bop them on the head each time they come out ......

Just an addition..............................don't get it on your skin. It's a clear innocent looking stuff but can cause severe allergic reactions on your skin.

Use good rubber gloves and tape them to the sleeves of your overalls.

Enjoy.

If you live in the Charente I would get a no obligation timber survey done if you have not already had one,  to see if you have termites.  Woodworms you can see, termites you cannot until the beam collapses.

If you are satiusfied that you only need to be treating for woodworm then a spray or heavy brushing with Xylophene will suffice but as said above although now water based it can still cause problems without good ventilation but the pong does not hang around so long with this formulation.

However, if you are treating beams for capricorn, a much larger wood boring insect or termites if you just brush or spray you might as well pour it down the sink for all the good it would do to hardwood beams.  For these Xylophene must be pressure injected into the ends of the beams where the threat from termites is most likely to come from and to soak deep enough to kill off capricorn.

Loobles here

thank you to all who not only gave me some great advice but also gave me a good laugh!  Great repartee between a number of my advisers.  Another little question- I know I have vrillettes which I believe are woodworm (had a timber report on buying the house) no mention of Capricornes.  How would I know if they were  there?  I had a termite check but gather that these are only good for 3 months.  What are the signs, apart from the house falling down of course.

This will certainly not be the last of my pleas for advice so hope you don't get tired of reading my pathetic cries for help!

The presence of live woodworm is usually evidenced by fresh dust from the pesky critter's boring holes in your wood!

You will normally find that despite copious treatment, some are resistant. If you see fresh dust, then spot treatment once more around the source of the dust normally works.

Or you know, because the worms drop out sometimes: one landed on the draining board once when I was washing up!

Even after full treatment, I used to find fresh dust: in fact - call me paranoid! - when we arrive at our French house and open up, one of the first things I do, even before removing dustsheets, is to look for any new dust!

And out comes the Xylophene.

And after that, the first beer.

[quote user="loobles"]

Loobles here

no mention of Capricornes.  How would I know if they were  there?   You would soon see if you have capricorn, they leave large holes up to 1/4" dia when they leave and enter the wood, they do not normally go very far in but over a number of years can destroy a beam as the surface wood crumbles away.

I had a termite check but gather that these are only good for 3 months.  What are the signs, apart from the house falling down of course.

There are no signs apart from the beam falling apart.  The only test is to shove an awl or screwdriver into the ends of the beams, it will go roight in and the wood crumble.  Some say that if termites are active, you might hear them, with a stethoscope, eating through the wood.

[/quote]

Reassuring to know that we are not the only ones that are paranoid about woodworm dust each time we come back to our house.  Encouraged by the several French artisans we have invited to look at our 'holy 'beams (we ended up removing the outer 25% of one which was eaten through but the consensus seems to be that the core of the large beam is 'dur' / bon)  we are trying to adopt a more relaxed attitude to the vrillettes.  We get a very small amount of dust occasionally but it seems to be more when we are moving about the house than when we are away which makes us hope that is is not evidence of new activity but old activity being dislodged.   

But either way, we can't get at most of the sources to treat it because it is either coated in numerous layers of paint or hidden behind plasterboard ceilings or other ceiling coverings.  Any advice from others with similar concerns?  Is there any option of fumigating floor cavities?

And we have only seen Boisilor in the shop we go to. Presumably it is the same thing as Xylophene?

Thanks